All The Best People Are Crazy

Song of the chapter:
Field Trip - Melanie Martinez

"Did you hear anything?"

"What are you talking about?"

"About Lee Sunmi..."

"Oh, yeah. I heard she left the university."

"What? I heard she relocated to England."

"I'm not entirely sure, but it's strange how she vanished without even saying goodbye."

"Well, she's attractive, so I'm sure she'll thrive wherever she goes."

"Absolutely."

As you walked past the students engrossed in their gossip about Lee Sunmi's sudden disappearance, a wave of amusement washed over you. It was all lies, every bit of it. The rumours about Sunmi transferring to another university were carefully crafted to conceal the truth—that Sunmi was dead, and Jungkook was the one who had taken her life.

A wicked smile played on your lips as you reminisced about the gruesome scene. The fear in Sunmi's eyes as Jungkook mercilessly stabbed her, the crimson blood seeping from her wounds in sync with the fading rhythm of her heart—it was a beautiful memory etched in your mind.

Your joy was palpable as you sauntered down the hallway, believing that nothing could taint your mood. But your elation shattered when a familiar voice interrupted your thoughts, a tap on your shoulder forcing you to face Lee Ji-eun—someone you had no desire to see at that moment.

"[Y/N]!" Ji-eun's beaming smile irritated you to no end. "Where have you been? I've been searching everywhere for you. I missed you!"

"Nowhere," the lie slipped from your lips effortlessly, a well-rehearsed deceit. "I've just been busy with classes lately. How are you?"

"I'm great!" Ji-eun clutched a textbook against her chest. "By the way, are you available today?"

You hesitated, contemplating your options. Technically, you were always available unless you were occupied with tracking Jungkook's movements. Socialising wasn't your forte, but you decided to entertain Ji-eun's request—for appearances, if nothing else. "I think so. Let me check my schedule. Why do you ask?"

"Well, the big masquerade party is coming up," she explained. "And I haven't found a dress yet. I thought it would be fun if you could come dress shopping with me. What do you say? That is, if you don't already have a dress..."

You realised you did need a dress for the occasion. Reluctantly, you put on a fake smile. "Sure, sounds like fun."

• • •

The shopping mall overwhelmed your senses with its enticing displays and constant push for purchases. It was a haven for excessive consumerism, filled with everything you could ever want but very little that you actually needed. Navigating through the crowd meant getting closer to people than you usually preferred, but online shopping wasn't an option for finding a dress in time for the masquerade ball.

However, if given a choice between shopping with Lee Ji-eun and diving into a pool of cold vomit, you would gladly choose the latter. The hours spent with IU in the grand mall had been exhausting, trying on countless dresses. She effortlessly looked stunning in anything she wore, even a simple potato sack.

"What's taking you so long?" IU impatiently questioned from outside the changing room. "I'm sure the dress looks amazing on you, just come out already."