I've Got Scars From a Life Before You

Song of the chapter:
Insecure - Brent Faiyaz

The first was Lee Taeyong.

He was a strikingly handsome young boy with vibrant red hair that accentuated his beautiful brown eyes and flawless porcelain skin. Every feature, from his prominent jaw to the muscles that sculpted his body, exuded strength and allure. He was out of your league, and you knew it.

In high school, you fell head over heels in love with him. What started as a simple crush quickly transformed into a sick obsession. Despite his lack of reciprocation, you were content with being invisible to him. Deep down, you knew it could never work out. He was the heartthrob of the school, while you were just a nobody.

So you watched him from a distance, always close yet never truly near.

Then came Cha Eunwoo.

He was the epitome of a pretty boy, the boy next door. Polite and innocent, at least on the surface. What captivated you the most was his secret life—he targeted the rich, stealing from them and giving to the poor, like a modern-day Robin Hood. It was undeniably attractive, and for the first time, you felt a true investment. However, his endeavours came to an abrupt end. Despite his intelligence, he made a grave mistake and was sentenced to life in prison.

And now there was Jeon Jungkook. The man you were currently consumed by. He was the one you loved with every fibre of your being—the one you hoped would be the last. Whether that meant he would kill you or you would kill him, you didn't care.

Jungkook was different from the rest. Intelligent, manipulative, a cold-blooded killer with a warm heart. It seemed contradictory, impossible even, but he embodied that duality.

He was everything to you—the fire and the sin. Breathing him in felt like burning, but you willingly embraced the self-destructive love. It was a suicide mission for your heart, and you were willing to sell your soul for the intoxicating high it brought.

• • •

A swarm of students flooded out of the grand lecture hall as soon as the clock struck twelve, eager to begin their lunch break. Jungkook packed his things with a distracted frown, unable to shake off the words you had spoken earlier. The unfamiliar feeling that gripped him could only be described as a mix of jealousy and anger—a sensation he despised.

He joined the throng of students making their way through the corridors and into the main courtyard, a gentle breeze tousling his dark chestnut locks. Taehyung struggled to keep up with Jungkook's brisk pace, casting him a curious glance. "Dude, what's with the expression? And why are you in such a hurry?"

"Just keep up," Jungkook retorted, unbothered by Taehyung's observation. "I'm looking for [Y/N]."

"[Y/N]?" Taehyung's voice carried a hint of surprise, though he was well aware of the connection between you and Jungkook. It stung him deeply, and he couldn't help but resent you for it. "Why?"

"It's important."

"That doesn't answer my question," Taehyung pressed, jogging to match Jungkook's long strides. "Is there something going on between you two? You can be honest with me, you know. I'm supposed to be your best friend."

"I..." Jungkook hesitated. Taehyung deserved to know, at least to some extent. But he couldn't divulge all the details of your unofficial relationship. That was a secret, your secret. "Yes, I guess there is."

"I knew it!" Taehyung exclaimed, feigning surprise. "How long has this been going on?"

"I don't know. I don't keep track of those things."