Chapter Fifteen

Emma and Carol look at me in question as I sit down beside them in math. I explain that Miss Winnett wanted to know if I was actually sick, Emma looks outraged and Carol laughs, saying that we finally have a teacher that knows me. Mr Glover starts to teach in his monotone voice and Emma and Carol turn immediately to take notes.

I sit there minding my own business, when a piece of paper hits my head. I whip around and of course, sitting there is Jake.

"What?" I snap.

"Didn't see you there, Ange. Soz," he drawls.

"Did I ask what the last girl who sucked your dick said?" I retort.

He goes red and his mates beside him snigger.

"Why so snappy? That time of the month, is it?"

"I won't be the only one bleeding if you ask me that ever again." I say as I turn back around to the front. Emma is starting at her page intently so she isn't drag into it. Another piece of paper hits me.

"Coming next Friday?" Jake asks as I turn around again. He asks me bored sounding, but his mates are acting like my response could change the world.

"What's next Friday?" I ask dumbly.

He gapes. "As if you don't know!" Jakes says astonished. "It's my 18th birthday party. It's going to be sick."

"Sickly boring."

"Don't come then, you'll be missing out."

"We'll see who is missing out," I gesture to my face. "This is the life of every party, you'll be missing out if I don't come."

His friends laugh and he does too, although covering it up in a sniff. I turn back around and scribble in the corner of my page.

The bell rings after a few minutes and we leave. Emma and Carol compare their answers to each other as we sit down at our lunch seat.

"Ange, you can't say that stuff," Carol says worriedly. "He will uninvited us."

"Course I can say that and he won't uninvited us."

"What if he is sensitive and cries himself to sleep every night?" Emma suggests.

I can't tell whether she is fucking with me or fully serious. I roll my eyes. "Because, he is too busy jerking himself off to be crying. Or, maybe he is an orgasm crier."

We laugh.

"What do we have next?" I ask Emma.

"English, history and then you have science," she replies straight away.

I groan. "I might go then."

"Where?" They ask in unison.

"The horse. I'm bored."

They look at each other.

"Should you?" Carol asks, raising an eyebrow. "Only you just got back after a week off."

"Oh, yeah," I say slowly, pretending I forgot.

Carol shakes her head at me.

"What about English? The assignment on Virginia Woolf?" Emma contributes, always prioritising school work.

"Oh, please. I finished that the first class," they look at me in surprise. "What? I read her books when I was 14. She committed suicide, so naturally I was itching to find out more. You know it is rumoured she was a lesbian."

"Right." Carol says slowly, shocked that I was actually doing my work.

"Then what about History? Them questions on Genghis Khan?" Emma says.

"That fat bloke? Yeah, him. Made up my answers, showed the teacher and he said, and I quote: 'Fantastic, Ange. I didn't even know these things.'" I say proudly and smile at them devilishly.

Carol laughs and Emma smiles at me in awe.

"You're free to go my lady," Carol says in an old fashioned accent and bowing.

"Thank you, kind pheasant." I say in the same accent and head to my locker to get my bag. I grab it and head to the reception, pulling out a chilli chewy from the inner pocket of my jacket. As I chew it, my eyes and nose start to run. I do this so often, I'm surprised that they haven't caught on. As they dial Katherine, I tell them that I'm able to work to Dad's office, where I'll be able to take my medication for my 'allergies' and go to bed. Sue, the receptionist, an older lady with a husband that I can tell is cheating on her and has far too many cats never lets me leave without a lolly from her drawer.

So, as I walk to Miss Winnett's house, unsticking my teeth from an old taffy, I think of a way to get Katherine to drop the saddle off. I will simply say that the friend's whose saddle it is needs it for tonight and I completely forgot. I will also say that I might need to go to their house to try it, so I need pants and a t-shirt. I ring her and she comes straight away, giving it to me at the back of the school and not even acting a tiniest bit suspicious.

I carry the saddle all the way to Miss Winnett's house, usually a five kilometre walk that takes 30 minutes with my shortcuts. It take me about an hour to get there after all the stops because of the weight of the saddle. When I finally get to the house, I throw the saddle and bridle on the gate and sink down to the ground leaning against a tree, trying to regain my breath. I slowly pull off my shirt and replace it with the one Katherine brought and I pull off my pants and put on jeans.

Avery is at the gate looking apprehensively at the saddle, she sniffs it and nudges it. I get up and put on her headstall, giving her a pat as I slowly pull on a saddlecloth, I swing the saddle over her and she snorts and kicks out. I grab the girth and do it up, she swings her head back and tries to bite my hand.

"Oi." I yell and jerk my hand back.

I next put on the bridle which takes half an hour of back and forth pushing and pulling by both Avery and I. Eventually I win and she reluctantly lets the bit in and snorts unhappily at me. I walk her around the paddock and she seems very unhappy with the whole thing, she bites her girth, shakes her head, kicks her stomach and so many times, she stops moving at all. I'm bored of walking and she is too, so I decide to get on, leading her up to a stump in the ground, I get up and gather the reins talking to her softly as I slowly place my foot in the stirrup and swing over lightly. Avery's ears pin to the back of her head and before I can stop her, I'm thrown out of the saddle and knock out cold.