Chapter Thirty-one

"Hey." Carol and Emma say in unison as I sit down opposite them.

"Hello," I reply.

"God, you look terrible," Emma says looking at me closely.

"Don't be rude, that is just how she looks," Carol jokes.

I pull a face at her and soothe my hair back. Emma reaches over the table, grabs my face and angles it so she can inspect it.

"You usually don't look this shit, I suppose," Carol adds.

"Thanks, darl," I say sarcastically.

"What have you been doing?" Emma asks, releasing me from her grip.

I shrug.

"Please don't say you're on ice," Emma begs nervously.

"What?" I exclaim, "God, no. Honestly, what the fuck? No."

She holds her hands up in defence.

"I just haven't been sleeping well, I guess."

"Right..." Emma says suspiciously.

"What?" I demand aggressively.

"You never sleep well and you look fine," Emma says.

"Plus, we didn't hear from you all weekend and we were worried. Now you come here looking like shit and we are a little concerned," Carol says.

"Sorry about that. I wasn't well, I was home on Friday in bed. I should have messaged you," I cover up quickly.

"That's no good, Ange," Emma says, returning to her work.

Carol raises her eyebrows at me and gives me the 'we'll take later' face.

"You guys are coming over Friday, right? Cause Katherine and Dad will be gone to Melbourne and I need help to set up for my party."

"Yeah, we'll be there," Emma says.

The bell goes and Emma leaves for speech therapy, leaving Carol alone with me to sus me out.

"So?" She says, nudging me gently with her elbow.

"I just haven't been sleeping."

She looks at me sadly. "I get it."

"What?" I ask confused.

"Your birthday is coming up and your Mum isn't here for it. That would fuck anyone up."

I half smile and she wraps an arm around me.

"Thanks," I whisper even though that isn't the reason.

She gently kisses my temple and pulls away to go to her locker. "What have you got first?" She calls across the hall.

"Fuck me, Chemistry and English."

"Lucky, I've got Miss Winnett."

My ears do a double take when I hear her name. "She isn't too bad," I say casually as Carol walks over to my locker.

She scoffs. "Only because she has a thing for you!"

I slam my locker shut. "What?" I say astounded, although bursting with happiness on the inside.

"Oh, yeah," Carol says rolling her eyes. "Laughing at you, looking up at you during the role, watching where you go and that bloody 007 shit."

We walk into homeroom and Carol gives Miss Winnett a rude look that she doesn't see.

"It... What?... Bloody hell," I stammer.

I'm happy that Carol has picked up on this, because she always pairs couples up a month before they start to date.

"She is a teacher, she is just being nice," I say firmly.

"Yeah, yeah," Carol mutters under her breath.

I look up at Miss Winnett and frown. "Yuck, I don't want her be into me," I spit.

"Hmm," Carol mumbles.

I feel scared that Carol may know that I do have feelings for Miss Winnett. The only way to make it impossible to know is to get over Miss Winnett all together. When Miss Winnett calls my name from the role, she looks up and smiles. Beneath the table, Carol kicks my leg as if proving a point. The rest of the day passes without another mention of her and I try desperately to convince myself that I don't like her, at all.