Chapter Twenty-seven

Morning comes and I look at the bottle of vodka sitting on my bedside table. It is hardly drunk from, but it still helped me sleep and forget most memories of my sister. I stretch, shower, get dressed and make my way downstairs. Dad is sitting beside the fire in the lounge room, reading a book and Katherine sits beside him, also reading. A good thing about Dad is that if a subject upsets me and he can tell, he drops it and doesn't bring it up, allowing me to go and sort it out myself. It is also a bad thing, when Mum died the subject upset me, but I needed to talk about it with him even if back then I didn't want to, he should have made me.

"Hey, Angie girl," Dad says, looking up.

"Hello." I reply cheerfully, going into the kitchen and putting bread into the toaster.

"Kath has been telling me that you have been going to school, that's great."

Katherine and I lock eyes, she smiles knowingly at me and I nod thanks discreetly.

"Yep," I say simply to Dad, smiling at him.

"Hear the rain last night? Pelted down, I haven't heard rain like that in ages." Dad looks out at the mountains, they aren't covered in snow like usual but slippery and wet looking.

"No, I didn't hear it."

"I've got something for you both." Dad says, pulling up his bag and pulling out another smaller one.

He hands a small bubbled wrapped parcel to Katherine, who unwraps it and smiles, it is a small bottle of perfume with a designer brand etched on the bottle. He hands Katherine another small box, she opens it and gasps. Inside lays a small diamond on a fine silver chain, it looks like it is worth thousands.

"It's beautiful," she whispers.

Dad smiles at her and kisses her temple.

"I love it," she says in awe at her necklace.

"I never you might." Dad says and pulls out a vinyl record from his bag and hands it to me.

It is a rare band that only released a few vinyls.

"No way!" I gasp.

Dad nods frantically at me.

"How?" I say, staring down at in amazement.

"My mate in America is friends with the lead singer and so I met her a few times. She is so nice."

I lean over to Dad and hug him. "Thank you, Dad."

I'm so happy for the weeks after Dad gave me the record. I hung it on my wall and when I look at it in the morning I burst with happiness. Not even Miss Winnett gets me down the whole week and with Avery on Friday my mood rubs off on her and she is more tolerable then ever, doesn't try and buck me off or bolt. I head back to the school feeling happier then I have in a while and wait til the bell goes to go shopping with Carol and Emma, we have another party this weekend.

Emma is basking in confidence having turned Jake down and Carol is her usual self, giving me secret looks that make me suppress laughter when Emma talks about how 'free' she feels. We shop for two hours, looking in all the shops and finally our feet just can't take it anymore. Emma walks away with her arms full of bags, Carol with one bag and I have only a few bags, but nothing for the party.

The kid holding the party is someone who seriously needs to grow up. He is 22 and invites heaps of the high school kids to his parties because he wants to remain young. Will Dempshire is a local legend around the boys of the town, they think he is 'cool' and him living off his rich doctor parents is 'mad.' I only like him because of his parties, out of town so the police are never there, plenty of free booze and enough weed to go around to last a lifetime, his parties are always fun and out of hand. I have never been with Carol and Emma though, this time I think I need to step away from the spotlight of the party and chill on the sidelines.