Chapter Fifty

I wake up at 8 in the morning and I'm starving, I slept through dinner. I get dressed in a loose t shirt and tracksuit pants, forgetting who I am and change straight away into jeans and a singlet, doing up my hair roughly and grabbing my sunglasses. A wave of nostalgia hits me, I haven't thought of Natalie in ages, apart from yesterday and now, looking at my glasses. I remember the time that Nat pointed them out on top the hill, when she followed me there because she thought I was skipping school, I was. I haven't gotten rid of these glasses because of that memory, pathetic I know. I shove the memory down, scribble down a note for Lily, who is fast asleep and head down to the restaurant.

I order waffles and peppermint tea from a young waiter who looks at me in shock, I smile at him and he scampers off into the kitchen. I see a few heads peering out the kitchen door window looking in my direction and within minutes, my food and drink is brought out by another young waitress. Her hands tremble as she sets down the plates.

"There you go, ma'm." She eyes me carefully as I smile at her. "I'm so sorry. Billy said that Ange Rayford is here and I couldn't believe it, you are her right?" She looks at me unsure.

"Yeah, unless someone as hot as me exists."

She gasps and stutters a laugh. "Billy and I love your music! The Cartographers are our favourite. I love your accent."

"Tell you what, I'll eat and have a relax and then you - What is your name?"

"Jenny."

"Nice. You and Billy can come and get a photo with me, if you want."

"For real? Thank you so much." She scampers off to the kitchen.

I sip on my tea and slowly eat my waffles, looking around at the nearly empty restaurant. The others aren't down yet, no doubt they are jet lagged and wishing they slept when I did. I finish my waffles and wash them down with the last dregs of my peppermint tea. When I see Jenny's face appear through the window again, I wave her over and she comes out with the waiter, Billy. He stands beside me, overwhelmed and standing as straight as he can while Jenny takes a few photos.

"Boring," I groan. "Let's do something fun, I mean, it has to be Instagram worthy." I take him into my arms and do a few different poses while the phone clicks as it captures pictures. "There we are." I say to him and take my glasses back from his head.

"Wow," he says in awe.

"Come on then, Jen." I open up my arms and she walks towards me. I do a couple of poses and give her a hug.

"Thank you so much." She is nearly in tears.

"No worries. Tag me in them and I'll like them, we have to make the bitches jealous after all." I wink at them and put my sunglasses on and walk into an elevator.

Almost immediately, I'm tagged in the photos and I like them, I watch the photo and the people that Jenny and Billy know commenting on it, amazed at their luck.

Lily laughs when I tell her about Jenny and Billy, Alice and Ellie tell me to be careful with fans when I'm alone and Josh commends me on showing of my 'kindness' to fans. They are all tired and hungover, they ordered way to many drinks last night at dinner.

"Ok, the driver is here to take us to the studio." Josh states, looking up from his phone after he and the girls finish their room service food. "Ready?"

We grab our bags and file into the elevator, stepping out into the lobby and pulling down our sunglasses, hats and hoodies over our heads. Outside the hotel, fans are screaming and security are pushing them away to make a path to the car.

"I wish they didn't scream." Lily moans and rubs her head.

Josh opens the door and I walk with a security guard to the car, people reach out and try to grab me, Alice walks closely behind me. Once we are safely in the car, we pull out of the parking spot and some fans run along the footpath, we pick up speed and they fall behind.