Chapter Twenty-nine

2 weeks from now, I will be 18. That number scares me, although at least I will be able to buy vodka easily. Plans are set for my party and the invitation went out on Wednesday. People all week have been coming up to me and discussing it and some asking to invite their boyfriend or girlfriend, the audacity. Everyone is talking about it and it starts to drive me nuts, so when Friday comes I'm relieved for a bit of peace and quiet at Miss Winnett's house with Avery.

It is a freezing day, frost set about 2 inches on the ground. It crackles as I walk off in the other direction to school. The paddock has started to thaw out and Avery stands at the gate expecting me. I sigh with happiness when I see her and mist spreads from my mouth.

"Oi," a voice yells.

I spin around and see Miss Winnett on the veranda with her arms crossed to keep herself warm.

I smile and wave, she beckons to me. I trudge up the steps, waiting for whatever might be coming.

"Hey." I say, looking past her into the house which looks newly renovated.

"Hello, 007," she replies, leaning against a post.

I roll my eyes. "Still haven't gotten over that?"

"Nar," she shakes her head.

"Your house looks nice."

"Oh yeah, you haven't seen it, have you? Come on, I'll give you a tour." She walks off into her house, expecting me to follow, I do.

"Woah," I say, looking at all the differences.

A new kitchen, skylight, floors, paint, a wall has been knocked down and there are so many other features that make it modern, but old at the same time. She takes me through the whole house, it smells of new paint and her perfume. The spare bedrooms have new stained glass windows, making a colourful effect when the light passes through them and a new bed frame with linen. The spare bedrooms match, Miss Winnett's bedroom is much grander then them, even though it was fairly good before, it is certainly better now. The bathrooms have new taps and tiles and the whole house is so much more cleaner and neater.

"So, what are your thoughts?" Miss Winnett asks after about a thirty minute tour.

"It is so homey and nice."

She sighs with relief. "Phew. You are the first to see it and my Dad is coming up soon, he is a harsh critic."

"What does it matter what he thinks? He doesn't live here or pay for it."

She walks into the kitchen, flicks on the kettle and sits at the bench. "Because... he doesn't... he isn't... Let's put it this way, he isn't my number one fan after something.

"Ah," I sigh, sliding into the stool beside her. "You always seem to be running from something, don't you? What are you? A murderer?" I ask sarcastically.

"Oh, absolutely. A serial killer," she speculates with her eyes wide.

"God, I knew it. Jesus, Natalie, leading me on like this," I say angrily.

She laughs, leans back in her chair and looks at me through narrowed eyes. "So, how is school lately?"

I flick my head back and groan."Friday is my no school day. I don't think about it unless necessary."

"Gotcha." She gets to her feet as the kettle beeps. "Do you want a cuppa?"

"Sure," seeing as she already had two cups out.

"You know this is illegal, right?" She says seriously as we drink our tea at the table.

"What? Drinking tea?"