Chapter Forty-seven

I dress in Natalie's clothes after my shower and walk back out into the living room. She is sitting on the couch with a glass of iced tea in her hands, she is looking down into it and fiddling around the rim of the glass. I pour myself a glass of vodka and sit down beside her, looking at her in concern.

"Ange, it isn't even 11 and you are already drinking." She says disapprovingly, looking at my glass in resentment.

"Five o'clock somewhere," I smirk.

She frowns at me. "Whatever, you will probably need it after this anyway."

"Fuck." I sigh, taking a sip out of my glass and placing my glass on the coffee table.

She takes a deep breath, grabs my hand and squeezes it slightly. "Angie, I love you. So much that it hurts."

"Me, too." I scoot over to her and lay my head on my chest.

"I'm going back home this year," she says quickly.

I sit up bolt right and look at her intensely, her eyes are clenched shut.

"What?"

"My aunty is retiring and she has offered me the accounting business. I have investments and money, I can easily afford it and I think it is time for me to go back."

I look at her feeling slightly betray and when she opens her eyes, she can see that she has hurt me.

"What about us?" I ask quietly and move back from her.

"Nothing has to change! It's only a year until you aren't at school and then you can come and live with me. I can drive down here and you can drive to me, people do long distance all the time." She looks at me wildly, making sure that I understand this isn't the end.

"After school I'm touring!" I say angrily, as if she wouldn't know this. "I can't go and live in Melbourne and miss out on a chance to become something!"

"Well, we can make something work," she says agitatedly.

I rub my temples. "It won't work, how can you not see that!" I say harshly. "I can't go a year with only seeing you once every two months."

"Neither can I." She agrees and I hope she is only agreeing to the last part.

"Then why are you moving?" I ask madly.

"Because I like accounting and I was good at it. I only left to get away from Dad after he found out. Now he as gotten over it and he just doesn't talk to me."

"That would be lovely to return to." I say sarcastically and roll my eyes.

"Don't be like this, Ange." She says upset by my reaction, she looks at me madly. "All my friends are at home, I don't have that many friends here. I feel so out of place when I'm not with you, it is so lonely when I see you with your friends and I don't have something like that here. Your friends don't even like me!"

"They do! They just can't believe that I'm dating my teacher, they were a little shocked, but they got over it. You only need to stick it out another year, please," I beg.

She wipes a tear from her eye. "Angie, I can't. She is retiring this year, I need to buy it now if I'm going to. It is a good opinion for me."

I can feel hot tears sliding over my cheeks, she reaches out and wipes them away.

"Don't cry, love."

I move away so she isn't touching me. "Don't." I say harshly and rub my eyes viciously. I don't understand why this is happening, it is so sudden. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to worry about us. I only found out two weeks ago and I have been thinking about it ever since. I only came to a conclusion last night, please don't think that this is easy for me."

"You are the one making the decision."

"I'm making the decision to move back, yes. We, together, will make the decision about us."

I lean over and cup my hands over my eyes, Nat slides behind me and wraps her arms around me.

"Don't cry, please, don't cry." She whisper into my ear and kisses my cheek.

"How can I not? I love you and now I have to decide what will be best for us."

"I love you, too. I don't want to hold you back and I know you don't want to hold me back."

"I suppose this is the end, then?" I whisper to her and look into her eyes, she is also crying.

She nods slightly and hugs me. "I will always love you," she whispers.

I kiss her and we sit on the couch for a while, not saying anything just holding each other crying. After a while, I get all my clothes from her room and my keys. I cry while I collect everything and Nat helps me, slowly getting my clothes, records and belongings from different places around the house. I finally have everything and my eyes sting when the light from outside hits my eyes as the front door opens.

"I guess I will be seeing you." I say and smile at her. My heart feels as if it is being ripped out.

"I suppose so."

I step out onto the front porch and think about that night I came here.

"Wait, Ange." She follows me out onto the porch. "I move out on the 10th of February, but I'm not selling the house." She places a key in my palm. "Come here whenever. Be seeing you, 007." She gives me one last kiss, backs into her house and closes the door. I stand on the porch and dissolve into sobs.