Chapter Thirty-four

"Should I wear this or this?" Emma asks, holding up a nude pink dress and grey pants and a navy blue tight long sleeve.

"Hmm." Carol says thoughtfully, rolling off my bed and inspecting both of them.

I'm flicking through all my clothes looking at all the possible outfits, but none of them seem to fit what I'm looking for. "I should have got something new." I groan, coming out of my closet to Emma and Carol.

Carol rolls her eyes. "You seriously got three pairs of pants, a jumper, a pantsuit and tops last Friday that you haven't worn," she says.

"I know, but I need to stand out," I say obviously.

"Hello." Emma says shaking her choices. "Which one?"

"The pants, it will be freezing," I vote.

"Yeah, the pants," Carol agrees.

Emma puts them to the side and chucks her dress into her bag and then walks into my wardrobe and flicks through my clothes.

"What are you wearing?" I ask Carol, who is looking through my records and putting on one.

"My blue dress, you know the one."

"Why does everyone have something to wear and I don't?" I say madly and flop onto my bed.

"I have literally found five outfits for you," Emma calls from the wardrobe and brings them out.

I choose one of my favourites that Katherine made for me, a navy blue pantsuit with a v shape cut down to my belly button.

"Good work, Em." I commend, peeling it off and replacing it with PJ's.

"Can't wait for tomorrow." Carol sighs, sitting at the window seat and looking out at the garden.

Dad and his employee have put a bonfire in the middle with logs and hay bales to sit on around it. To the side in the garden is where Julien's (a friend) DJ gear will go and directly in front of the shed is where Dad put down old floorboards for a dance floor, he also put out two bathtubs for drinks. I couldn't stop thanking him and I made him promise me to not go on Friday, but early Saturday morning so he can see me on the morning of my birthday. He isn't trusting me with 100-300 teenagers at his house though, and set up a few of his tougher looking employees for security and has strictly talked to me about the out of bounds places. No one is allowed inside the house, garden, green house or sheds. The old shearing shed is set up for people a little too drunk to drive home and the outside toilets are ok to be used, I threatened everyone on Facebook that if a single plant is stepped on they will all pay.

"Same here." Emma says, sitting beside Carol.

I get a joint and lighter from my bedside table and sit between Carol and Emma. I push the window up, letting the cool the breeze wash over us, I place the joint in my hand and cup the end, lighting it, inhaling and blowing the smoke out through my nostrils. I hand it to Carol, who drags hard and blows her smoke out the window and along the roof of the veranda. Emma copies Carol and leans back against me.

"Woah," Emma utters feeling what we all must be.

"Woah," Carol and I reply in unison.

All thoughts have slipped from my head and everything is moving in what looks like slow motion. It feels like I'm made of stone and moving from where I am now would be the stupidest thing to do.

I reach down and look at Emma, her eyes are out of focus and I poke her face. She laughs and soon we are all giggling like children. Carol stubs out the joint and we slowly move back to my bed, where we sleep soundly til 7 in the morning.