Chapter Twenty-four

At school on Tuesday, Jake kept watching Emma from afar, making her stutter more then ever and blush at random moments. She couldn't concentrate on school and Miss Winnett told her off in accounting, making her complain about her for the whole recess.

"What's up her arse?" Emma says nastily, staring across the yard at Miss Winnett.

Carol looks at one grins, making me feel like she knows something.

"Anybody say anything about the weekend to you, Ange?" Carol asks.

"Yep, heaps. Most about how pissed I was, I don't even remember how much I drank."

Carol rolls her eyes. "A motherfucking lot," she says.

"Really? I didn't do anything embarrassing, did I?" I ask worried.

"Nope, you rocked up with two bottles of vodka, poured out half a Mr D's and filled it up with vodka. Danced around with that and drinking shit other people gave you and you were fucking crazy, but also you were right, you are the life of the party. Tommy and you were just dancing so loose and he would push off all the fuckboys and then, best part you won a shot competition against Jake. Tequila, as well, not your speciality," Carol finishes plainly.

"Wow," I say astonished.

"Then, you just disappeared."

"Sorry."

"All good."

We look up and see Jake approaching our table with his cronies. Other kids kick balls to him which he catches and kick back.

"Hey, Emma." He says as he reaches the table and leans against the post.

Beside me, Emma is the colour of a tomato.

"Hey." She stutters and quickly looks down at her shoe, which she is wrapping behind her other leg.

"Ange," Woody acknowledges. "Carol."

Woody is a decent guy, but because of his status as Jake's best friend it makes him highly less tolerable.

We nod our heads in his way and the rest of the boys give us tight lipped smiles.

"So, Emma," Jake says in a smoky voice. "We still going to the movies? I'll pick you up at 8."

"Oh, y-yeah. Sure, sure."

"Cutie." he says affectionately and walks off, taking his gang with him.

"What a fuckboy," I mouth to Carol.

Emma groans and turns to look at us desperately.

"Em, I'm not going to tiptoe around anymore," I say sternly. "You have like Jake for ages. Why are you not thrilled and jumping around."

"Also, you need to include he is a fuckboy," Carol says.

"Thanks, Rol." I say sarcastically, giving her the 'shut the fuck up' look.

"Don't I bloody know." Emma says sharply and buries her face in her arms.

Carol looks at me in confusion and I return the look, because I too, have no clue what is going on and where the sudden change of heart has come from.

"Care to elaborate?" Carol asks.

"He came onto me on Saturday and I have had a crush on him for years. I loved it and plus he was super nice and caring, he apologised and asked me if it was ok when we did it. So we did it and it was fine, horrible, but fine. I pretended to fall asleep cause he did and then I 'woke up' and he was messaging a Lauren from Kilpatrick High and they were gonna meet up on Sunday. When he fell asleep I got up and left, found Carol and Melissa and we left."

"Wow," Carol says.

"My warnings payed off," I say smugly.

"That isn't it," Emma says dramatically. "The movies are a cover up for sex. He was like, 'just tell them the movies, they don't like me and they won't like us and then you can sneak to mine.' I'm just gonna show him up."

Carol sighs in frustration at Jake.

"No surprises there, though," I say knowingly.

"God, imagine his face when you don't show up," Carol speculates.

Until the bell goes we sit there and imagine all the possible outcomes of what Jake would say to Emma, it passes the time. Especially when Carol imagine a scenario where Jake became famous and was forever hung up on Emma and he could never live his full potential without her. The bell goes at the end of her story, sending me off to music and Emma and Carol off to legal studies together.

On Fridays, I go and ride Avery during the last parts of school. I also leave before Miss Winnett gets back home because I'm not up for discussions with her. Avery is improving, she is pretty much fully broken in, I feel proud considering I did it step by step off google. I don't take it seriously because I look forward to Fridays because they are fun and if I make myself try they won't be fun. I just hope for the best that she doesn't kick me and that I don't wake up on my teacher's couch again.

If Miss Winnett thought I was avoiding her before, what must she think know? I dropped off the jumpsuits three weeks after the party and each time she approaches me, I turn in the opposite direction. She knows I come to her house though, she left the money under the tree I usually sit under. Home group is harder to avoid her though, usually I go to the toilet and come back a minute before the bell. Although she caught onto what I was doing and didn't let me go, I fixed that though. I threatened to go right then and there and she laughed and let me go. I still wasn't over the fact that I completely over shared my story when I first met her, and I feel uncomfortable knowing so much about her and her knowing about me. Whenever I'm around her or talk to her I feel like I need to share things that I have only ever told Carol and Emma and I really don't need another adult worried about me.