Chapter Twenty-five

It is all going well, I have avoided Miss Winnett for about a month and then my advanced math class teacher, decides to pop out a baby and Miss Winnett is her replacement.

"Oh my fucking God." I say, looking down at my timetable and seeing Miss Winnett's name.

"What?" Emma says, then looks at my timetable. "Better you then me!" She says gleefully and giggles.

"You don't mind her, I thought," Carol says suspiciously.

"I don't fucking like her either." I mumble, watching Miss Winnett hand the other students their timetables.

"And you missed your chance to change the subject too," Carol says disheartened.

"She can't change it," Emma says for me. "It's the brainiac class, they make you do it."

"I thought you were doing accounting, isn't that what she teaches?" Carol questions.

"No, Mrs Sil is having a baby, Miss Winnett is just taking her place," I say.

"Well, cheer up," Carol says positively. "I mean, you never work in them anyway."

"Plus, they are only on Tuesdays," Emma adds, smiling hopefully.

"I suppose," I sigh.

The bell goes and we all file out of the class. I make sure I don't make eye contact with Miss Winnett, Tuesday is going to feel like a reunion.

On Tuesday, I sit at the back of the classroom and stare out the window. She walks in, marks the roll, looks up a little surprised when she sees me and gives out a worksheet.

I look at the worksheet for a minute, to see if I understand what to do if the situation comes to that and then I decide that the view out the window is better. Only five minutes goes by, before I can feel motion beside me and Miss Winnett is pulling out the chair right next to me and sitting down beside me.

"Hello, Nat," I whisper.

"Shh." She whispers angrily, nodding in the direction of the other kids, eagerly discussing and working together.

"So, what is the problem? Do you not understand?" She asks, looking at my blank worksheet that lay beside me.

"No, I understand perfectly. Just the outside world is so interesting, this window is real good for this class. Boring, but better then these sheets," I joke.

She frowns. "I'm not letting you out until you have completed these." She says bluntly, looking at the side of my face because I make sure I don't make eye contact.

"I'll be going when the bell goes." I say determinedly, swinging my legs around so they brush against her's and looking down at the sheet.

"Not unless the work is done, honey."

"Don't honey me," I joke.

She scolds. "Listen, I'll help you with the first one." She props her head up on her elbow and points at the equation with her pen. "So, if this is-"

"The answer is three," I say simply.

I can feel her looking at me in surprise as I keep my head on the sheet.

"Ok... What about number 2?"

I do it in my head, it takes a little longer then usual cause she is staring at me in disbelief and it distracts me.

"136."

She does the working on spare page in under a minute and looks back at me in shock. "Why are you not doing your work if you can get one done in like five minutes?"