Chapter Eighteen

LONG CHAPTER

I lay in bed, trying to telepathically summon my phone so I don't have to move. It's been about an hour of this contemplation and I slowly move toward my phone in a way that causes the least pain. I grab it off the bedside table and turn it on, no really important news. I send a picture of my bruise to Emma and Carol and give a little explanation, leaving out Miss Winnett.

I slept like a log through out the whole night and I wake at 10am wondering why I'm not at school. Then I move and am struck with so much pain and the memories come flooding back. I slowly get up, look in the mirror at my black and purple bruises and manage to get downstairs somehow. I find Katherine on the veranda.

"Hello, are you in pain still?" She asks as I limp out.

I hold up my shirt in answer and she raises her hand to her mouth in fright and disgust.

"Ouch." She mutters, reaching out and lightly pushing on it with her warm hands. "Does it hurt it breath?"

"Nope."

"Well, I don't think it is broken, just sore. It'll be right."

I pull down my shirt. "I can hardly bloody walk!" I spit in anger at myself.

"That is what you get," Katherine says matter-of-factly.

I roll my eyes at her.

"You get today off, but tomorrow you are back at school. Ok?"

"Fine." I huff and walk in an angry shuffle up the stairs.

The next week was agony for me. I could hardly laugh, run, talk and at times breathing was painful. On the day I got back after my first day off in a while, Miss Winnett was genuinely concerned about my head. Pretending I didn't know her or where I was didn't help her concern, when she realised I was joking she playfully hit me where my bruise and pain lay. My eyes watered at the pain and she asked what was wrong, in answer I lifted my shirt and she gasped. Then mimicked Katherine by saying, "that's what I get," when she felt she was too soft on me by being sympathetic.

Luckily, I recover sort of on the Friday before Jake's party, which had moved to Saturday. Everyone talked about the party all week and now being so close, the excitement and vibes around the school is nuts. As soon as the bell goes on Friday, Emma, Carol and I all go straight into the city, looking around the designer clothes, knowing full well we can't afford them. After we have loaded up on new outfits and clothes, we pile back into Emma's car and drive to mine where we are spending the night, it doesn't really make sense because my house is quite far from the town, but whatever makes them happy.

Katherine is surprised at the amount of bags we carry in, but laughs and mutters something about 'The Good Ol' Days," and walks out to the garden.

"Come on, then." I beckon the girls and walk up the stairs to my room.

"I love your house." Carol says dreamily, she takes a deep breath. "The smell of it. It is so... unique. I love it!"

I laugh and lead them into my room, as soon as Carol sees the bed she jumps onto it face first.

"And your pillow, ahh." She says, her voice muffled from the pillow. She rolls over onto her back and looks at us.

Emma walks over to smell the pillow. "I don't smell anything but weed," she says plainly.

"Yeah, but that is what makes it so unique!" Carol says enthusiastically. "Your room is just so random and eccentric. Like look at this, you have records. No one has records. Also what the fuck is that?" She points to a picture I took of plants, but it is out of focus and taken on a film camera. "Never mind, keep me guessing. It all goes, but it is all random and fucked up. You have a bottle of vodka filled with lights, only you would do that."