(Chapter 8) Nostalgia, With A Side Of Cookies

Sam and I followed Doug as he lead us through the maze like catwalks on the other side of the white walls. 

“...So that’s when Chell blew GLaDOS up, causing the facility to be badly damaged.” he finished brushing a piece of, what looked like bean, off from his jacket.

“So, Chell is your-” Sam started. Doug cut him off, his eyes like dark pits of emotion.

“Friend.” Was all he said, turning his attention back to the front.

“Thank you so much for helping us.” I said again, still in shock of what had happened. Although Doug was crazy he was a nice man, and that was all that mattered, sort of...

“No problem, I was getting lonely, and weird things were happening, voices that don’t belong here.” He said rather mysteriously. “Voices of what sounded like dead people. Mark and Stanley, poor souls, stupid cats.” He murmured to himself, I felt as though I was the only one that heard.

“So, what kind of voices?” Sam asked. 

“I don’t really know, but common words that are used tend to be Camerica and Rachel.” He said flatly.

“How long has this been going on?” I asked.

“I don’t really know, it’s hard to tell time here...” He sounded distant and I was afraid that he was going to beat Sam up with his cube again, and judging by Sam’s face he was thinking the same thing. “We’ll put cameras in cameras, they’ll never expect a thing.” He mumbled softly, as if in a trance.

“Well, that’s reassuring.” I commented brushing a strand of hair out of my face, mixed feelings swimming in my brain.

“Wait, isn’t your name Rachel.” Doug said quickly whipping around and looking at me. I didn’t respond, looking away.

“Yes.” Sam intervened. “Some people, who we have no clue the names of, are after Rachel and her friend.”

Doug nodded as if understanding completely, he patted the cube as if knowing the feel.

“Anyway as I was saying-” He started but was cut off by a shrieking noise, he paused looking completely unfazed.

“What was that?” Sam asked, hand on his gun, Doug shrugged. 

“I have no idea, stuff like that happens all the time. I don’t bother myself with that.” He started nodded. “It could be someone I knew, don’t want to bother myself with that...” He repeated, his eyes glued on the wall. 

“Doug?” I was about to put my hand on his shoulder, worried about his sanity, but he spun around looking me dead in the eye.

“I wish I was somewhere else.” He stated turning back to the path and began walking again.

Sam and I just stood back, shocked about the sudden behavioral changes that were taking place. I glanced behind us, and decided to follow Doug, to be on the safe side. Sam reluctantly did the same. 

There was a silence over us, which made me uncomfortable. No one was talking, and I wanted there to be noise, anything to distract me from this whole, ‘epidemic’. The thing was I was still too awkward to get the conversation started, so I settled for staring at the back of Doug’s head. Totally not creepy.

Sam seemed to notice my insecurity, and began to ask Doug random questions. I smiled gratefully and focussed on their voices, distracting me from, possibly, my impending doom.

“So, where is Chell now?” Sam asked curiously, moving a head to Doug to be beside him.

“I don’t really know.” Doug said, sadness etched into his voice. “And I don’t really want to know.” His headed bobbed as the cube moved up and down.