2. Innocent

December 4th 2016

Taylor's POV

"Are you ready to go home?" Karlie beams happily as she walks into my hospital room. I look down at the tiny baby in my arms and sigh, "We're not going home though, are we." Her smile turns to a frown now as she looks at me. "Hey, you know you could go back any time you want- this was your choice Taylor, nobody's stopping you." She reminds me and I shake my head, "I can't go home now, they're desperate for a sighting and if I'm seen with a baby it'll be all over the news and he'll definitely find out, it doesn't take a genius to put the timeline together."

I stare down at the blue eyes of my daughter and I know deep down that I'm doing what's best. As much as I'd like to go back to Nashville or New York, she's not safe there and here she is.

"You could tell him." As soon as the suggestion leaves her mouth, my eyes are on her and I swear if looks could kill she wouldn't still be sitting here. "You know what he did to me, Karlie. I can't risk that happening to or around Maisie, it's not fair on her."

She smiles as she looks at me apologetically, she knows what he did and she knows why I can't go back.

"On the bright side, Ian is waiting downstairs to take us home and I might have a surprise when we get there." She smirks, a mischievous twinkle in her eye. I raise an eyebrow, curious as to what she could've planned but she just gets up and starts collecting our things.

I kiss Maisie's forehead before strapping her into her carseat. It's the middle of winter so I make sure that the blanket is tucked tightly around her little body before pulling the carseat cover over the top, that way there's no way anybody can catch a glimpse of her. "Do you want me to get Marcel?" Karlie asks and I nod in response. Marcel is taking Maisie down to the car first, just in case there are any paparazzi hanging around. They may not know where I am but I'm not the only celebrity in the city.

"Taylor? Are you ready?" The man smiles kindly as he enters the room. I look down at the sleeping infant through the small gap at the handle, I don't want her to be away from me for even a second. "I'll take good care of her, it's only for a couple of minutes." He reassures me but all I feel is overwhelming anxiety, she's been safe and with me for the last nine months but now she's in the big bad world and there's only so much I can do to protect her.

"Would you rather Miss Kloss takes the baby and I escort you downstairs instead?" I shake my head, telling myself that I'm being stupid. "No, of course not. I'm just a little attached, I know she'll be fine." I smile at her innocent face and the man approaches us as he chuckles softly, "my wife was the same when she had our first baby." I smile, remembering the man's children- it makes me feel old to think that he's worked for me since I was eighteen. It's been almost nine years and his oldest is about to turn eight, I don't even want to think about Maisie being that old.

"Take her, I'll see you both in a minute." I smile and the man reaches out for the carseat. "She's beautiful." His compliment makes me smile, I know I'm biased to say it but she is, "we'll see you downstairs." He says as he picks up her diaper bag and leaves the room. Leaving a Maisie shaped hole in my heart, even if only for a minute.

"Have you got all of your stuff packed?" Karlie asks as she walks in, wheelchair in tow. "What is that for?" I ask, completely disregarding her question. "Before you protest, it's hospital policy. You gave birth to another human being yesterday and you wouldn't normally even be able to leave this early." She has her serious face on, the same one she had the day she told me she was coming with me, so I know not to argue. "It's only to the car." She laughs and I roll my eyes.