8. I Want Your Midnights

(Minor changes to the end, nothing dramatic.)

December 31st 2016

Taylor's POV

"Ed, stop kicking me." I mumble in my sleepy state and he groans something inaudible. Why did I have to get stuck sharing with him whilst Karlie gets to share with Cara?

I sigh as I roll over, his feet come flying towards me again and I groan into the pillow. I push myself up and get out of bed, I pick up Maisie who's sleeping in the bassinet beside me and take the bottles, blanket and pacifier and leave the room.

I walk across the hall and into Karlie's room. Maisie's still sleeping so I lie her in the pack and play, put everything down and shove Karlie. She groans and opens her eyes, looking at me through the dark, "Ed's kicking me so I'm sharing with you, push over." I don't give her much choice, in my sleep deprived state I climb into her bed and she sighs as she moves into the middle, Cara still asleep on the other side of her.

"You're a pain in the ass, Swift." She grumbles as she shares her pillow with me and I just roll my eyes before mumbling, "you know you love me."

She sighs and says "that I do." Before going back to sleep.

•••

"When did it become four to a bed in here?" We all wake up to Ed knocking on the door and walking into the room. Cara and Karlie groan at the sound of his voice and I pull the pillow over my face. "When you decided to keep kicking me at 2am." I groan, extremely tired. I uncover my face and sigh.

"The baby needs changed, who's shot is it?" Cara speaks up and both me and Karlie point to Ed, "his!" We speak in unison and he laughs, "I can't change a nappy, no way." He makes a rather swift exit for the room and we all groan, "I've got her." Karlie sighs and Cara hands her over then rolls out of bed, "I've got the caffeine." She yawns as she trudges off downstairs.

Karlie gets out of bed and lays Maisie on the changing station attached to the pack and play, but I just roll onto my stomach and close my eyes again. Maisie has been particularly active during the night the past couple of days and it's wearing me thin, I haven't been this tired since she was born. I knew she would start being awake for longer periods of time but I naively thought it would just be during the day.

"Are you gonna be a good girl and sleep a little longer tonight, hmm?" She questions the baby who I can imagine is just staring up at her with those gorgeous blue eyes. "I know it's New Year's Eve but kid, you're not getting anywhere near midnight tonight- it'll be a surprise if your mommy makes it." She chuckles softly and for a few seconds all that fills the silence is the sound of diaper tabs and buttons fastening on the sleeper.

"Lets make next year the best year of mommy's life, hmm? She's been through so much, my love, she deserves a little happiness." I smile to myself, Karlie makes me happy, so very very happy.

"Come on, you and uncle Ed were very naughty last night and mommy's very tired, let's leave her to sleep for a little while longer." I hear her gentle footsteps pad across the carpeted floor and then the door quietly closing behind her. I open my eyes again and sigh as soon as the door is closed, there's only one way next year will be the best of my life and that's with Karlie by my side.

•••
Karlie's POV

"Here, go to Karlie." Ed walks into the living room to hand me a crying Maisie. So far he's avoided dealing with anything other than holding her when she's not screaming. "Oh sweetheart, your uncle Ed is useless, isn't he?" I laugh, scowling at Ed and trying to comfort Maisie.