40. Welcome To The World, My Angels

September 12th 2017

Karlie's POV

"Maisie, look bubs, what does mommy have?" We're on the playroom floor. Taylor is a couple of feet in front of me and we're trying to coax Maisie into walking with my aid towards her. She's mastered the whole standing whilst holding onto my fingers thing but she's yet to take a step or even consider it. "Come on bug, come to-" Taylor stops speaking mid-sentence and presses her hands firmly against her stomach and back. I sit the baby on the floor and make my way to my girlfriends side. A small groan leaves her lips and I give her a worried smile as I kneel by her side. "It really hurts."

The words escape as a muffled whine and I rub small circles on her lower back as I take her in my arms. "Help me up?" She asks and I nod as I get up to help her off of the ground. "Do you wanna lie down or go for a warm bath or something?" She just gives me a soft nod and I don't know which one she wants but both mean helping her upstairs.

"Kimby!" I call after my little sister and around thirty seconds later she strolls into the playroom to find out what I want. "Can you watch Maisie?" I ask her with a worried frown and she nods as I look towards the baby who has happily crawled over to where Taylor was sitting and found the puffs we were trying to bribe her with.

"Come on babe, I've got you." I give her a small smile as I wrap one arm around her waist and lead her slowly towards the stairs. We take each step at a time and slowly move upstairs. This is the point where Taylor and I both regret buying a house with so many stairs. "What do you want me to do?" I ask her as she gets on the bed and crawls into my arms, "I just want to lie here," she sighs, letting out a deep breath.

She's flushed with pain again in only a few seconds and she squeezes her eyes closed and she cries into my shoulder. This is almost identical to what happened last night. "Okay, we can just stay here." I smile as I press a soft kiss to her forehead, soothing my fingers through her hair as I trace shapes on her bump with my free hand. I turn the TV on to fill the silence and serve as some sort of background noise as Taylor clings to me, occasionally letting out a stifled yawn as she tries to fight sleep. "It's okay, if you're tired you can sleep babe, I'll stay right here." She nods into my shoulder and I keep her wrapped tightly in my arms until she falls asleep.

I stay on the bed with her until I'm sure she's asleep and then I replace myself with a pillow so she doesn't wake up after realising I'm gone. I turn the light off but leave the TV playing on a low volume as I close the door behind me.

"Is she okay?" Kimby asks as I walk into the living-room where she's sitting watching TV and Maisie in sitting in her rocker. She loved her swing but outgrew it quickly which is why we ended up getting different ones for the twins. "She's asleep. I think today took a lot out of her and she's still having braxton-hicks which are basically the same as contractions and she's in a lot of pain." I sigh as I sit down beside her.

Maisie starts fussing in her rocker since she realised I'm present in the room so I bend over to take her out, sitting her on my knee instead. "But now it's time for little Miss Maisie's bath and then her bottle and bed." I smile as the baby looks up to me. "Did you make it to your lecture on time this morning?" I ask Kimby, finally having a minute to actually talk to her since we got home. "I was a couple of minutes late but I didn't miss anything." She says and I nod. That's lucky I guess. "You need to get yourself together, because I'm not your mom Kimby. We're about to have three children under the age of two in the house and I really don't need a fourth." I laugh but remain serious so she knows I'm not kidding.