Part 14

The car was parked at the side of the road. They all decided that it was about time that they all took a break. Jake was asleep in the foot well of the backseat, while Days and Hannah took ownership of the seats above him, (though they didn't realize that Hannah's dead had landed on Days' shoulder,) and Rosalyn dozed off in the front passenger seat. 

She was abruptly awoken from a tapping at the window. Lolita was hanging upside down. She was on the roof of the car. She pointed up before swinging back up onto the car. Rosalyn smiled and climbed up too. It had been a while since they had a quiet moment like this again. That is, until Lolita said something that shook Rosalyn. 

"I actually did have a reason for leaving." Rosalyn looked at her in shock. "Bet you thought that I was just being stupid, huh? Nope, I did have a real reason." Lolita sighed. "A girl, Tracy. I met her 4 years ago. She was in for the summer, and she was just... glowing."

Lolita pictured her face interconnected with the stars. "She had this long brown hair with bright yellow streaks in it. When I met her, she was wearing a cute yellow sundress and-and a floppy straw sun hat, and, I'm not joking here, yellow rain boots." She smiled. "That girl made my life. You know, she was my first kiss." 

"Wait, your first kiss was a girl?" 

"Rosalyn, we've been friends for god knows how long, and you never figured out that I was a lesbian?" She asked. "Anyway, mom and dad said that they didn't approve, and after that summer, I never saw her again. I thought I might find her someday." She gave a painfully loud and forced laugh. "I know, I know. Super corny." 

Rosalyn giggled. "I kind of like it." She said. 

"Of course you do, charmer. Jake is head over heels in love with you, woman." Lolita said. 

"No, he's not." Rosalyn rolled her eyes. 

"He's still wearing your flower crown." Lolita said. "It's been a full day. He likes you." She laughed. "I don't blame him. A 'bad boy,' living a life of crime, until he meets one special girl who changes his life." She laughed wildly, elbowing Rosalyn. 

She sighed. "Hey, Rosalyn?" She said. "Thanks for going through with this with me." She said. 

"What are friends for?" She laughed. "Stupid decisions are kind of our thing. Oh, and about Jake-" 

"He really likes you, Rosalyn. I'm not joking." Lolita said. 

"Okay, maybe he does. But even if he does, I don't really feel about him that way. I mean, the more I get to know him, the nicer he seems, but I won't be able to like him that way. Ever." She explained. The look in her eyes told Lolita that she was being serious. Rosalyn really didn't feel that way about him. 

"Well, you two still make adorable friends." And after a little more time, they hopped back into the car."