[13] Better in Time

"I-..I don't know, dad. I don't know if he's going to come back. It's been two days and there's been no word, nothing. It's like he vanished." I sighed, trying to keep my dad updated on the hell that is Beacon Hills and all our lives right now.

After telling him that Boyd was murdered by the Alphas, he insisted we keep training harder than ever. I know dad means well, and I'm grateful he's teaching me to be strong. I know he fears I'll end up dead, that he'll lose me just like I fear I'll lose him. Which is why we're in the backyard, training harder than ever as he kept insisting I needed to focus on my accuracy with a bow as well as my swordsman ship. Right now, we were sparing with actual swords, kind of scary the crap out of me slightly because of the sparks that fly whenever the blades hit one another too hard.

I groaned in pain when dad swooped my feet, causing me to fall to the floor, hard. I groaned, turning to my side as I sat on the floor to rest. "No resting. There's no breaks in a real fight." Dad reminded me.

"I know, I know...But I can't help but be distracted right now, dad." I sighed, rubbing my forehead. I still felt slightly weak from feeling Boyd's death, and on top of training harder and longer, I haven't been sleeping all that well. Not to mention Derek's gone MIA and none of us know when he'll return. "I'm just worried about Derek. It's been two days, dad, and it's like he's vanished. This whole thing is far from over and he's--..he's just gone. I'm worried." I looked down at my shoes, trying to avoid dad's looks as I didn't want him to see how worried I actually was.

But he knew me and I still had a lot to learn from him.

"Sweetheart, look at me.." Dad said, kneeling down next to me as he lifted my chin up with a single figure so I could look into his eyes. "Derek's going to be fine, he's strong and he's brave. But he just needs some time to be by himself, to heal."

"It's been two days..Dad, he's by himself and he's hurting, blaming himself for Boyd's death. It's not his fault, it's the Alphas. Deucalion's.." I reminded him. "I know I should be focusing, I know that--...I'm just worried. I-I feel something horrible coming, I-I keep seeing death and I just can't help but be terrified. I-I don't want anyone to die."

Dad suddenly got this look on his face, making me question what it was for. "Deucalion once was a good man, trying to keep the peace. Gerard wasn't the only thing that blinded him, vengeance and power blinded him as well..." Dad brushed my hair behind my ear as I looked at him. "Okay, now like Game of Thrones, what do we say to the god of death?"

"Not today.." I sighed, regretting ever watching Game of Thrones with him. He's been quoting it lately after binge watching the seasons. But I can't blame him, it's a great show. "But I fear we have a Red Wedding type of situation coming our way and there's nothing I can do about it."

"Listen to your instincts. You're a Valkyrie, now my love. So listen to what the voices and feelings are trying to tell you...Focus, now tell me do you feel or see any of your friends deaths?" Dad said while I closed my eyes, slowly shaking my head. "You can predict death as well as control it to an extent, with more control over your gifts.. You're special, my love. Never forget that and don't fear death."

I sighed, grabbing his hand to stand up before pulling him into a hug. "I love you, dad. More than anything so please-..please don't ever leave."

"I won't, ever. I'll never leave your side, not as long as I have a choice." Dad smiled down at me before telling me we could be done for the training for now. He told me to go be with my friends, how we all needed each other. I thanked him, telling him I loved him before leaving the house to make my way towards Stiles.