three

What would have even happened to Dan if I hadn't actually gone to look for him? I almost didn't too, because I figured he may have made a friend or something. But, I went with my gut and looked for him. That's probably one of the smartest choices I have made. Sometimes, my gut is wrong. Thank god for it this time, though.

After the final bell rang, I packed up my stuff and walked out of the school and saw Dan already standing at my car.

"Hey!" I called out when I saw Dan. He smiled back at me, and waved his hand lazily. I pulled my car keys out of my pockets, and unlocked the door. Dan already had his hand on the handle, and he tugged at it, and got right in and buckled himself very quickly. "How was your first day?"

"Alright. I mean, being in a chokehold isn't fun, but classes weren't hard or anything. Teachers were nice. Kids were sketchy." Dan said, his eyes fixed on his black trainers.

"Right. Well, I'm glad it wasn't too bad." I claimed, trying to make him feel better. I didn't even know that guys name. I couldn't even do anything about it now.

The ride back home was pretty silent. Not a thing had to be said, I guess. The wind blowing past my ears would keep me from hearing Dan anyways.

I drove into Dan's driveway and came to a complete stop. Dan sat for a second — looked at me — looked out the window — and he looked back at me.

"Thanks a lot, Phil." Dan smiled weakly, slung his bad over his shoulder, and slid out of the car door. I couldn't help but get out of the car and follow him.

"I'll walk you in." I called in desperation. Dan turned around and his eyebrows were raised.

"Okay." Dan came to a halt, and I jogged up to him. The driveway was super long, so I figured he needed a buddy for the walk. "Do you know the name of that guy, you know, the one who put me in a choke hold?"

"I really wish I did. I can try and figure it out somehow though." I sighed. I really tried to think about all my years at high school, and just one guy, and I couldn't even think of his name. He was even in my class.

"Oh, don't worry about it." Dan said, pursing his lips.

"I swear I will figure it out, because what he did was totally wrong." I bit my lip, and kept walking alongside Dan, until we reached his door.

"Thanks, Phil. So like, is this picking up and dropping off like a thing now? Or was the just the welcome thing?" Dan asked as we stood in front of his door. I could hear his mum coming down the stairs.

"Whatever you want. As long as you need a ride, just let me know." I nodded.

"How can I contact you though?" Dan asked.

"Oh! I should have given you my cell number earlier. Here." I pulled my phone out from my pocket, and recited my cell number to Dan as he typed it into his phone.

"Cool." Dan mumbled, and his mum barged out the door.

"Stop being such a homosexual and get you ass inside. Thanks Phil. Good bye." His mum yelled, and Dan jumped at the sight of her.

"Bye, Phil." Dan waved, and his mum shoved him through the door.

"What an ass." I whispered to myself once she closed the door. I walked back down the driveway alone, and drove myself back home.

I saw my mum was sat out on our porch, with metal chairs as old as dinosaurs and a table that was older than me on it. I pulled up right to the house and stopped, then got out of the car.

"You still scare me with your driving, Philip. Anyways, how was your first day being a senior?" Mum asked me as soon as I came out of the car.

"Good." My smile was forced. "Actually, I need to tell you something."

"Go on."

I took a deep breath. Was this the right thing to do? "Dan's mum beats him, physically and emotionally. When I went to pick him up, she hit him. When I dropped him off, we were chatting outside and she called him a homosexual and shoved him inside the door. She acted so innocent too, after she did it all." My throat stopped me there.

"Oh my god. I'll have to talk to her, as soon as I can. Thats so bad. Who would ever do that to their child? Does Dan have a father?" Mum asked me. She was very flustered now.

"No. Not that I know of." I choked out, holding back the tears that wanted to burst out.

"Then I'll just call his mum right now." She pulled out her cell and started typing numbers.

"Wait, Mum. Not yet." I tried to stop her.

"Philip this is serious though! She is hurting him and we need to get him out of there!" My mum pleaded.

Then it all clicked into place. My mum wants me to get a flat. I have a friend in an abusive home. He is miserable there, and I think we kinda have a lasting relationship.

"Mum!" I called.

"Yes, dear?" She responded quite calmly to my shout.

"I could move into a flat with Dan! You know, you want me out of the house, and Dan is living with an abusive mother... so why not?" My smile was bigger than it had ever been. I knew having a roommate would be cool, and especially Dan. There is something about him...

"Oh, that is actually such a good idea Philip. You boys could get jobs and pay for it, I mean I would help you in the beginning, but then you would become so independent and oh my god it's all happening just how I imagined—" I stopped her.

"Mum, please relax. You know you want me to move on with my life." I shifted my sight from side to side.

"I guess. Oh, Philip. I'm so proud of you." She smiled.

"Not this, please." I scratched my head. Then, my phone buzzed. It was a text from Dan.

Dan: hey phil. can you come over.

I looked up from my phone, right at my mom.

"Dan wants me come over to his home." I mumbled. The color drained from my face.

"Is he okay?" Mum asked me, becoming jittery.

"I don't know."

Phil: Dan, are you okay? What's up?

Dan: just come over. please.

Phil: Okay...

"I'm gonna go, mum."