five

"Mum! Mum it worked!" I yelled as I bursted through the front door.

"You guys are going to move in together?" She asked peacefully, sipping some tea.

"Yes! Yes! Yes!" I jumped for joy like a 5 year old receiving a brand new toy.

"Sweetheart, relax. You are acting like a child." She rolled her eyes, but her aura was emitting a joyful feeling as well.

"But it worked! He's not going to get hit! He won't get abused anymore!" I couldn't wipe the smile from my face.

"I actually was betting on it working, because I did purchase a flat for you two. It has two bedrooms, 1 and a half bathrooms, and a fair amount of living space. It's also mainly furnished. You will love it." Mum grinned. She sipped from her tea again.

"Oh Mum, that's wonderful! I'm so excited! I'm going to start packing right now." I bolted up the stairs.

"Well, you have a week before you are going to get to move in." Mum dulled the mood.

"Blimey, I don't care! People pack early. I can pack all of my clothes, books, games, stuff like that! Wait I should text Dan and tell him to pack too!" I stopped mid-run up the stairs.

"Okay, sweetheart. Whatever you want." She carried on with her tea and reading, and I went full sprint into my room. But I didn't even have any boxes for packing.

"Mum! Do we have any boxes?" I yelled down the stairs.

"Actually, we do from when we moved here. In the closet right next to your room, Philip." She called back to me. I jogged out of my room, and opened the closet vigorously, and threw some boxes into my room. I threw my books into one, and my games into another. I threw my clothes in the last box.

"This is going to be awesome." I perched myself on the end of my bed, and pulled my cell out from my pocket. I decided I would ring Dan instead. I dialed his number, and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" His sweet voice came through the phone.

"Hey!" My voice went back singsong-like.

"Oh, Phil! Whats up?" His voice became more alive.

"So my mum actually bought a flat for us, and we can move to the flat in a week. I already started packing my clothes, books and games. Maybe you could start packing some stuff too?" I tapped my foot quickly on the ground.

"Oh, sure. I actually have boxes because we just move in here. I'll start storing some clothes away." I could almost hear him smiling.

"Awesome! Okay, well, I'll see you early in the morning then." I pursed my lips.

"Of course. Bye, Phil." Dan said.

"Bye, Dan." I sat on my end of the phone until he hung up, and I listened to the annoying beep at the end of the call. My new roommate. My new best friend. My new future. I was so excited for what the universe was going to play out for us.

———

I woke early in the morning, about an hour before I had to so I could get ready for school. I rolled over in my bed and saw the boxes, filled to the top with my belongings. The thought made me smile. I rolled right out of bed, threw on a colorful tee, some black sweats, and blue socks. I slipped on my white trainers. I quietly walked out of my room while picking up my phone on the way out, and tip-toed down the stairs. My mom was not awake yet, which didn't surprise me, because it was 4am. Surprisingly, I had a text message from Dan. Dan.

Dan: you awake? need a friend to talk to.

Phil: Yeah. You okay?

He didn't answer for a few minutes.

Dan: my mom. she's been hitting me when im sleeping and i havent even known. guess im a heavy sleeper.

Phil: OH MY GOD DAN IM COMING OVER RIGHT NOW

Dan: okay.

— — —

I didn't even knock when I walked in. I just went straight to Dan's room. I opened his door, and I saw he was laying on the floor, tears piling up on the floor.

"Dan..." I couldn't say anything else. My best friend curled up on the floor, in tears. I lay down right next to him. I faced him.

"Why are you so nice to me?" Dan asked. "Am I even worth your time?"

"You are worth my time." I smiled. Seeing Dan so sad made me tear up.

"Don't cry, Phil." Dan reached his hand out and rested his hand on my back.

"But you are and that makes me sad." I tried to hold back tears, but they streaked my face.

"I'm always sad." He whimpered through his tears.

"We have to change that." I pleaded.

"I'm taking medicine. It's working. Kind of. And the antidepressants make you gain weight, so that's what the beating for working out is for." Dan rolled onto his back, so the tears went into his ears.

"Oh my god, it's vicious cycle. She beats you to stay fit, and your depressed so you have to take the medicine which makes you gain weight which leads to more beating. Even beating you in your sleep! You can't catch a break. Dan.." I couldn't finish.

"Phil she would beat me if I breathed wrong." He wiped the tears off his cheeks and from the side of his face.

"Exactly. That's why I'm excited to move in with you and get you out of this god forsaken house." I rolled onto my back, next to Dan.

"I could never thank you enough. Ever." Dan smiled cheekily.

"You don't have to. Its my pleasure." I smiled back. His smile could cure cancer, for real. He didn't smile enough. He really needed to.

"Bless the Lord for Phil Lester."