six

This has been the longest week of my life. But the day had finally come. I was moving in with Dan today. My boxes were all stuffed and taped shut. My room looked as empty as it ever had. No posters on the wall, no colorful bed sheets, no clothes in the closet, nothing to make the room seem Phil.

"Ready, Philip? The truck is here, so you should start bringing down some boxes! I can help you." My mum called up the stairs.

"I'm ready! Is there a truck at Dan's house too?" I inquired.

"Yes, dear. I sent your father over there to help him, because his mother is absolutely pitiful. And to think that I believed her to be a good person in the beginning. Who beats their kid..." she mumbled the last part.

"I didn't know dad was back from his trip!" I called back down, carrying a box outside of my room.

"Well he is, and he is super excited for you to be moving in with Dan after he heard Dan's story. He's just thrilled." My mum started to come up the stairs to assist me with the boxes.

"I'm glad. I am beyond thrilled to be moving in with Dan." I cheered. I couldn't have been happier in this moment. It was perfect. I would be living with my best friend. My mom followed me into my room to grab more boxes, and we repeated the process over and over until the moving truck was loaded with all my things.

I stood in front of the truck with my mum and dad.

"I am so proud of you, Phil, for doing this for someone. I expected nothing less of you." My father wrapped me in a tight hug.

"Thank you, Dad. I do everything for you guys." I rested my chin on his shoulder.

"No, Phillip, you do it for you. You do it to make sure that you are proud of who you are. Don't do it for us, do it for you." Mum cheerfully said, and I felt my dad nod.

"That's right, my boy. Make sure you feel happy and accomplished when you do anything." My dad insisted. He pulled away from the hug.

"Of course. I should get going. I love you both so much. You know the address, so come visit whenever. Well, when it's convenient." I laughed.

"Love you!" They waved by in unison. I hopped into the passenger seat of the moving truck, which was being driven by one of the employees.

"Let's go check on Dan." I said, and the employee nodded, and she drove up to Dan's house. I hopped out of the car, and ran right up to Dan.

"Dandandandandandandandandandan!" I yelled as I threw my arms around him.

"Phil, woah! Hey!" Dan stumbled a bit, but gently wrapped his arms around me. It didn't even occur to me that this was the first time we have ever hugged.

"Are you excited?" I said, pulling back from the embrace.

"Of course. Anything to get out of this house. The quicker we leave, the better. My mum is out doing god knows what, so we should leave before she gets back. My truck is all packed, so we could go." Dan nodded; his bright, white teeth shimmering when he smiled.

"Let's go then!" I said, seizing his bicep and dragging him to the truck.

"I have to get in this one, Phil." He chuckled, and I released my grip from him.

"Guess I'll see you there, then." I bit my lip, and hopped back into my truck.

It took about a half hour to reach the flat building, but we made it. It was right there, standing stories tall in front of me. I slid out of the truck, and admired the beautiful, brick building in front of me.

"I love it already." Dan said beside me.

I jumped. "I didn't even realize you were there! But, me too. I'm so excited." I rocked back and forth.

"Thank you Phil. Someone finally saved me from the torture. Finally my wounds can heal, and most certainly, I can eat junk food and turn into a couch potato, with you." He emphasized the last little phrase. With you. That was my life now, I was no longer alone on my journey. I had a partner to fight the battles with, someone to pull me back into the game when I doubted myself..

"Of course. I'll always be here for you." I smiled.

"I guess we should get our boxes, right?" Dan turned his head to look at me.

"I guess so." I didn't look away from the building.

———

It was about an hour later, and all the boxes were moved into the flat (not unpacked, but at least they were up here). The living room and bedrooms were furnished, with a almost new couch, TV, lights, etc. Of course Dan and I had already found our way to the couch, which we sank right into. I guess that was because we hadn't had the willpower to drag our mattresses into our bedrooms.

"I love it. I love it. I love it. I love it. I love it." I said over and over as I sank lower into the couch.

"Me too, but Phil, we didn't even think about school. Now we live 30 minutes further!" Dan's eyes widened.

"Oh my god, you're right. There has to be a school near here, right?" I inquired.

"Phil, I can't go to another new school." Dan sighed.

"Well, this time we have to go through it together. We can try and sign up for all the same classes, and get in all the same periods." I pleaded.

"I guess if I have you, then I'll be alright." Dan flashed a quick smile.

"But for now, let's not worry about school. Lets worry about getting this place unpacked." I said, getting up.

"Phil, sit down."