nine

Let's face it. That day wasn't productive like I said it would be. But another thing to face is that Dan and I really connected. I feel that he began to trust me a lot more, and I felt that I bonded with him in a way I have never done before. We hung out on the couch all day long, and showed each other different movies we've enjoyed in the past. We also watched a lot of shows on Netflix.

Today, I swear we are going to find a school. We have to get education. It was 11am in the morning, and I had just woken about a half hour ago. Dan wasn't awake yet, because I peeked into his room to see. He was laying on his front side with his right cheek against the pillow, and his lips wet with the drool dripping off them. It was kinda cute, I had to admit.

I insisted on having a good and gratifying day. So, I had to start with waking up Dan. "Dan! Let's get the day started!" I said, walking back into the doorway of Dan's room.

He slowly sat upright, his body awake but his mind still. "I'm awake," he quietly intoned, and when he saw me looking at him, he simpered.

I walked through the doorway and into his room. "So my plan for today are to find some sort of school. We have to get educated in order to get into a good university." I️ chirped. Dan stretched, and slid out of bed.

"Sounds good to me. Just give me a minute and I'll come do that with you." He replied quickly.

"I️'ll wait out here." I️ pointed out to the living room. I️ exited the doorway swiftly, and slipped on my trainers.

"PHIL, PHIL!" I️ heard Dan scream from his room.

"Dan, I'm coming, I'm coming..." I️ bolted back to his room. He was bend over, looking down at his phone. He had his messages open, and I️ couldn't see the name on the screen. It was too fuzzy to see.

"Phil...Phil..." Dan sobbed, the wetness of his eyes seeping out.

"Dan, what happened? Talk to me, please." I️ coaxed, stepping up behind him closer.

"I️—I️ have a lot to explain, Phil." Dan sniffled, placing his phone face down on the desk.

"Start explaining now, please." I️ insisted. He dragged me to sit down next to him on the bed.

"I️ have a dad, Phil. I️ never really tell anyone about him, but he is the better half of the family. She just had to keep her son, and my dad being the person he is, he let mum have me. That's when the depression, cutting and suicidal thoughts started. He was always the wall between me and my mum. He kept her from beating me and starving me." Dan started, and I️ almost wanted to bear hug him right then. I️ could tell he wasn't done, though. "He moved far away to escape my mum. I️ haven't seen him for...years. Now, he's just texted me and told me that he has been diagnosed with respiratory cancer, and he's got weeks at most to live. I️ have to see him before he dies, Phil, please."

"Dan, of course we can go. I'll do whatever you need me to." I️ sympathized, giving in to embrace him. Dan let his limp body fall into my arms, and I️ scooped him into the best hug I️ had ever given. His arms fell weakly over my shoulders.

"I️ don't know what I'll do without him Phil, after everything he has done for me, I️ just can't let him slip away!" He cried. What could I do? I haven't experienced this kind of pain, so I couldn't empathize.

"We'll go see him, promise." I assured, holding onto him tightly just like he did to me.

There was a silence in the banter, and all to be heard was Dan's sniffling and deep breaths. We sat together on the bed, interwoven with one and other in the embrace. Neither of us bothered to let go. It seemed as though the hug could last for years, until Dan broke the silence.

"Phil?" He inquired.

"Yes, Dan?" I replied.

"Wanna go look for a school? It will get my mind off of the situation at hand here. A little road trip never killed anyone. Unless they crashed. Well, anyways.." He grinned. It was so good to see that perfect smile on his face.

"We can. I'll be careful not to run into any other cars." I said jubilantly. Slow as molasses, we pulled away from each other's warmth, and stood up off Dan's bed.

"Phil, let me drive, okay?" Dan said doubtfully. "No offense at all, but you need some driving lessons again!"

"Trust me, you don't know how many people have already told me that. Don't feel bad. My own mum says it to me." I clarified.

"I'm probably not much better." Dan said with a smile plastered on his face.

"Shut up!" I shook my head, and we walked out of Dan's room, and into the living room. Dan was laughing his ass off, even though it wasn't that funny.

"I'm merely kidding." Dan smirked.

"Oh, Dan..." I sighed.

"You know you love me."