"Grocery Store Whore"

I'm in the back room of the Riverdale Register when I hear the door open. I peak my head out to see who just walked in, expecting to see Betty or Hal. But instead I see Penelope Blossom.
This can't be good.
"Alice Cooper." She says as she walks further inside.
"Penelope? What could you possibly want?" I say, not trying to hide my annoyance as I walk into the room.
"Nothing at all actually. Just happened to notice how busy you've been is all, wanted to make sure you weren't straining yourself." she sneers
"Excuse me?" I cross my arms over my chest.
"What with juggling two men at once, running a newspaper, a daughter in a mental institution, all the while acting like the perfect family." My heart stops as she implies my relations with FP.
"How the hell did you find out about that?"
"Oh you mean Forsythe? I just so happened to be in the grocery store the same time as both of you. Guess you could call it a happy accident, grocery store whore." She gives me a wicked smile. "Wouldn't want Hal to find out and get in the middle of your little hook up, would you?"
"You wouldn't dare. And besides it's not a hook up."
"No, no you're right. It's a midlife crisis. Trying to relive your teenage years by sleeping with your high school boyfriend."
"You bitch."
"Hypocritical don't you think?"
"You wanna play dirty? Let's go then." I step a little closer to her. "Isn't it true your husband is selling hard drugs around Riverdale and other towns? And wouldn't it be a darn shame if someone like say Mayor McCoy were to find out?"
"You don't have the guts."
I glare at her, and she gives me a nasty look in return. "If you breathe one word of what you saw to anyone I will make sure everyone in this town and the next town over here about your husbands shady business. Do not test me Penelope."
She doesn't say a word, just scowls at me as she grabs her purse and walks out the door.
As soon as she's out of aright I sit down at my desk, panic quickly setting in.
If Penelope saw FP and I who else saw us?
I reach for my phone and find FP's number.
"Call me please..." I text him.
As I wait for his reply I see another car pull up out front, it's Hal.
Great, he's going to want to know why I'm upset.
He walks in with a smile on his face. "Good morning!" he says cheerily.
"Morning." I say quietly.
"Is everything okay honey?"
"Yeah, everything's fine."
"Are you sure? You're looking a little uncomfortable."
"I'm fine. Penelope was just here is all."
"Penelope? What did she want?"
"I have no idea. Came here to pick a fight with me I guess." I lie.
"Oh honey, I'm sorry. I know Penelope can be pretty awful, especially to you."
"Yeah no kidding." I say and he places his hand on my leg.
"I was thinking maybe we-" he starts, but the sound of my phone ringing cuts him off.
I catch a glimpse of the name and quickly grab it so Hal doesn't see. It's FP.
"I have to take this, its the school." I stand up and walk outside quickly.
"Hello?" I say as I answer the phone.
"Hey, what's going on? Are you alright?"
"Penelope Blossom came to visit me."
"What'd she want?"
"She saw us FP!" I try to sound as calm as possible but I know he can hear the panic in my voice.
"Saw us doing what?"
"Kissing, yesterday in the grocery store."
"Shit"
"Yeah no kidding."
"Did she tell anyone?"
"No she just came to taunt me. But I have dirt on her and her family so I don't think she'll risk telling anyone anything."
"Thank God."
"But we have to be more careful."
"Agreed, which reminds me. Jug is going out tonight but he's going out with Betty. I don't think they'll stop by the trailer, especially not with me there, but I can't be sure."
"Alright, I'll talk to Betty see what their plans are tonight."
"Okay I'll talk to Jug and let you know."
We say our goodbyes and hang up the phone. I collect myself and walk back inside the Register.
"Is everything okay?" Hal asks as I walk back in.
"Yeah everything's great, Principal Weatherbee called to say how well Betty is doing on paper."
"That's wonderful, we raised a pretty amazing daughter." He says and I can't help but feel a little sad, we raised two pretty amazing daughters.
"We did indeed." I smile softly at him and he leans in to kiss me. I kiss him back but the sound of my phone interrupts us.
I pull away for a moment to see who it is.
Text Message from: FP
Jug is staying at Archie's after he drops off Betty, he won't be home at all. Come by anytime after 9.
Can't wait to see you...