BLACK FRIDAY

Keagan

I packed a fake bag the night before Jamison left for West Virginia, just to save me from having to explain why I have no where to go over the holidays. I didn't want him to ruin his trip and feel obligated to bring me along like my last roommate had, so I just kept it a secret. It was his time to go spend time with his family, and I wasn't going to ruin that with my presence.

So I sat alone.

Well, actually I went down to the art building. The only other person in there was the art department coordinator who was setting up a few of the student's pieces for the exhibit he was putting together for when everyone was back from break.

Mr. Kirkpatrick and I got along swimmingly over the few years I had been stuck here alone. It was always the same though. I'd give him extra money for canvases and paint for days at a time until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and then he'd help me move all the artwork I had produced out of the room and back to mine so he could close shop for his break.

Then for the rest of the break I sat alone; or went to the gym. This break was nothing different. I still didn't know any other students who "didn't" have some sort of family to go home too, so I just worked my self to the point of exhaustion Wednesday night so I could sleep through thanksgiving and wake up bright and early on Black Friday.

I know, it's lame, but I was a sucker for those Black Friday deals. Well... And the chaos. I kind of enjoyed pushing people out of my way, only to buy things no one else cared for.

This year I had my eyes set on a projector. I hated TV, but with the alcohol poisoning and all, I figured I wouldn't be partying for quite sometime; which sucked because that made the holidays suck even worse. I couldn't even think about how terrible Christmas was going to be.

The last time I spent Thanksgiving with my family was when I was fifteen. That year my dad broke my wrist and gave me a nice shiny black eye. His rule was to never hit me anywhere visible during times when I had to go to school, but during the holidays I was fair game. My mom on the other hand sat in her room crying as the brutal beating was taking place. I spent the rest of that night wandering around the city until I found a decent bridge to sleep under.

It wasn't my first holiday spent by myself, and it surely wasn't going to be my last. I never really knew what a thanksgiving meal was until Jana "took custody" of me the next year. God damn that woman could cook. I don't think I ever had a chance to be hungry at that woman's house. I literally went from as thin as a tooth pick, to the hunk I am today within four months of living with that broad.

If there is one thing I will never forget about that woman, it would be the way she set the table for the two of us. Though there were only two plates, she had more than enough food to feed an army. It was like she half expected her actual children to come visit, which sadly they never did until her passing, and by then I had become sole beneficiary of her estate and assets.

I never felt bad for those guys. They had a loving mother and they took advantage of her. They never called her once, not even when her health started to deteriorate. But I was there every step of the way, and even after she died she is still helping me each and every day. She paid for my college education. She gave me her almost brand new car, and if I chose to I have a home I can call my own as soon as I graduate; she made sure to hold off on that so I couldn't wuss out of college.

She literally gave me everything when I had nothing, and I miss her more and more each and every day she has been gone.

I stiffened my upper lip quickly and picked up a few more odds and ends that day as well. I desperately needed new clothes so I found myself buying myself some really nice suit jackets, slacks, regular fitted jeans, dressier shirts, and some of my normal clothes.

Finding all that didn't satisfy my Black Friday shopping needs so I also bought; a new blankets, food, tons of movies, and my thoughts even turned to Jamison as I wondered into the pillow top mattresses; so I might have grabbed him one as well. I mean, it was half off. I'd be a total jerk for not getting him one.

But with that all being said, that made it so I had to pick up more things for him as well. I might have over done myself this year, but with our new projector we were going to need optimum comfort.

When I got home that day it took me four trips to unload all the shit from my car, but hell, at least it kept me occupied.

I ended up rearranging our entire room that evening so that we both could be next to the projector and sit on our beds right in front of it.

I folded Jamison's old sheets and blankets and threw them into the closet before setting up his new digs for him. The thought that he might not like me touching his shit didn't even dawn on me until I was all done, so by then I didn't care. He'd like it, or he'd get over it; either one of the two works perfectly fine for me.

I passed out soon after, not bothering to eat again since it was way too late for me to order things and I just didn't have it in me to cook for myself.

Saturday passed by just the same as I thought it would have. I ate and watched a few movies I bought before going to the gym and working out; nothing too out of the ordinary.

I even did my laundry and put it away, which was slightly abnormal, but it happens.

Then of course I showered and changed into my new pajamas I had bought the day prior.

I contemplated texting Jamison every day, but I figured it would be best to just leave him alone. He was probably dry humping with that kid with the stupid name anyways.

Russ? Who names their kid Russ? It was probably short for Russell or something, but hell. If I ever saw him I'd probably call him sprout. You know, for brussel sprout? Hah.

No but really, I just couldn't bring myself to interrupt his good time for once. Just because I'm miserable and alone doesn't mean I should take away from his good time... At least for this holiday. Christmas might be a whole different story. Who knows?

But before I could close my eyes I saw my phone light up on my night stand. It was if as whatever kind deity was out there saw how miserable I was and wanted to shine some kindness down upon me.

Hey Keagan, I'm coming home earlier than expected. What day will you be back?

I never left so I'll be here whenever you get here. What's wrong? I responded, more excited that my friend would be home rather than concerned as to why he was coming back almost a week early.

...Wait, you never left? I cursed at myself internally as I tried to come up with something to say, but honestly it was just far too much effort.

Yep, tricked you into thinking I had people who cared about me! Haha, anyways, you didn't answer my question so I'll ask again. What's wrong?

Nothing important... I'll explain it better when I get there. Do you think you could pick me up at the airport tomorrow then if you're already there? I should be landing around noon tomorrow. Is that cool?

Yeah, I got you Jamie. I'll see you then.

He didn't respond after that, and I was perfectly fine with that. I was kind of excited to see him. Well... I was more excited to show him all the things I bought for us.

Maybe we could even have a makeshift thanksgiving since I totally missed that whole day. Who knows! I guess I'll find out tomorrow.