2 YEARS DOWN

Jamison

So yeah.

I left.

I packed up most of my things and left for my Ivy League future. I think that deep down, like really really deep down I can say that I didn't want to actually leave. I liked the idea of it more than I really wanted it.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the campus. I loved the atmosphere and the intelligent conversations I heard every day. My professors were amazing; they came from Ivy League schools themselves. Most of them were either doctors or surgeons. Very inspiring, very challenging. Which was what I needed.

It was a change of scenery, a different wave of life.

It was less partying for me and more studying. Less teenage lifestyle and a little bit more responsibility on my end.

But at least I had Keagan. In the beginning. Staying in contact with him kept me sane for the longest time. But then our communication changed and it kept changing. We'd talk every other night... then 3 times a week, then once a week, and then those weekly phone calls turned into bi-weekly and those turned into monthly calls. Eventually we talked "when we had time" and then ultimately all communication came to a halt. We just stopped talking.

There was no goodbye. No real ending of our relationship. We just were busy with our own lives. I wondered if it hurt him as much as it hurt me to know that we were ruining our friendship like we were. We had to know we were doing it, there's no way that we didn't. It didn't happen over night it was a gradual thing that was very noticeable.

It wasn't anyone's fault. Both of us sucked. And neither of us weren't any good at actually voicing how we felt so that was a strike against us as well. I think maybe I said something to him about barely talking to him and he said something like "well you're the one who left me" and that stung. Because I honestly thought he was happy for me up until that point. I mean, maybe he had been. But me leaving hurt him way more than he would ever admit to me.

And after we hung up most nights I would always fight the urge to pick my phone up and call him again. How could I not?

This was someone I spent every second of every day with for almost a full year. I knew him inside and out and I loved him with every fiber I had in me.

It was unbelievable how it was gone.

But, I slowly accepted it. I had no choice. I was way too far into my program to switch out and go back home. I just couldn't.

I finally decided what I wanted to do with my life, I was on track to graduate on time and I didn't want to mess it up. Not even for love. And I knew Keagan wouldn't allow me to do that, especially since he was much farther with his major and would be graduating before me anyway.

"Jamison I'm going to the library I'll be back around midnight!" My roommate called out to me from our common area.

"Okay, don't kill yourself studying! I'll be here when you get back."

Freddie was my third roommate. That's right. Third. He was the only one who was normal I swear. I have no idea why I had such bad luck with roommates but I went through two of the worst people I've ever met in my entire life before Freddie came along.

When I first arrived here I was to be paired up with a guy who called himself Big Blue. He was from down south and only got here from a football scholarship and he was basically white trash I hate to say it. He was very disrespectful towards me, told me I would burn in hell for being a 'fag' and that he met girls who were stronger than me. So needless to say I applied for a roommate exchange and I thanked "the good Lord" when Big Blue was out of my living quarters.