MY PLACE

Jamison

I was shocked but excited that Keagan basically asked me out on a date. We went out before, as friends who just went out. Any friends would do that and it would be completely normal. But this wasn't one of those times. This was Keagan and I going out as something more than just buddies. Our title was... unclear, but it wasn't nothing; we weren't nothing. And that's all that mattered to me.

I first drove us to IHOP because I had a feeling it was his favorite place to go. He'd never admit it, but it totally was. The way he devoured those pancakes was unreal at times. He had four in a stack and then I blinked and there was half of one left pretty much. With abs like his, one would wonder where all of those carbs even go. Like, seriously.

"You sure do know how to eat," I said with a slight chuckle so he didn't kill me for picking fun at him.

He put down his fork and swallowed what was in his mouth.

"I was starving! What do you mean? I eat just as much/fast as a normal person. You just eat slow. Leave me alone." He said with a smirk.

"Whoa look whose getting all defensive! Calm down. I think it's cute."

I didn't know if I should have held my tongue or not. I wasn't sure what I was allowed to say and what I wasn't allowed to say. Not allowed as in, up to him, but up to me as well. What was I comfortable with? What was I sure of? I wasn't aware of our status, and neither was he.

I figured we'd figure it out along the way somewhere. I hoped it wouldn't be an awkward conversation and we'd be on the same page, but I had no idea how it would actually go.

"Well I think you're nuts. But thanks, jerk." He said as he finished what was left on his plate. "So if/when you ever finish eating, where are you taking me?"

I squinted at him while I deliberately ate even slower.

"It's a surprise. Don't get excited it's nothing super special. But it's just somewhere I think is pretty cool."

Keagan nodded and took a sip of his water.

Maybe that's how he stayed so fit. He drank a lot of water. I never noticed until recently how much he really drank. And come to think of it, I barely ever saw him work out. It was crazy how fit he was when he didn't really eat healthy or lift that much. I mean sometimes in our dorm late at night he'd work out but that was it.

Lucky for him.

I had a small gut. Nothing gross or anything like that, just no abs whatsoever. Just a flap of skin that was there where abs were supposed to be. Hm maybe I could ask Keagan to help me get in shape. That would be fun. He'd most likely kill me and make me work hard, but that's what I needed. I was getting tired of being frail.

"I'm sure it'll be a good time whether you think it's 'super special' or not."

I smiled and quietly finished my pancakes.

After I was done Keagan got the bill and we headed out.

It felt nice to have him pay, but I wanted to pay next time. Knowing there was going to be a next time was exciting. I no longer had to prove myself with him. We were passed that. It felt great.

"So how long is it going to take to get there?" Keagan asked like a cute little five year old.

I kept in my snide remarks and answered him.

"Maybe like 15 minutes. It's 5 minutes away from my house but since we went out it's a little farther," I said as I drove, keeping my eyes on the road. "I used to walk there from my house actually."

Keagan nodded and continued to look out of the window.

It was hard not to lose focus because of him. It sounds weird but it's true. He looked so collected and calm. His presence was enchanting.

"So that's the church that my family goes to," I said as I pointed to Keagan's side of the car. "And down a ways is a little supermarket; I think we might have gone there the other day when we got groceries but I can't really remember because that day was so freaking hectic. But yea, me and my sister always used to beg my mom for 25 cents to get gumballs. Those were the days."

I felt bad for talking about my childhood because I knew Keagan didn't really have a good one. But I wanted to let him in on mine. I wanted him to get to know me better. I felt like I knew a lot more about him than he knew about me. Which made me realize that we both needed to learn a lot more about each other. I wanted to know everything about him.

"I can just imagine little baby Jamie begging mommy for a gumball. That's so funny. Did you fight over who got to sit in the cart?"

I laughed.

"Yeah like every time. I always had to walk because I was older. But that's life."

Keagan laughed too; it was a different laugh than I've heard. It was a playful nonjoking laugh, if that makes sense. I liked it.

I pulled over and stopped the car.

I knew Keagan was confused so I explained to him. "We have to walk through a trail on foot, then we'll be there."

"Oh wow, I didn't know you were the adventurous type."

I smiled and unbuckled my seat belt. "There's a lot you don't know about me."

He followed me out of the car and through the trail that led to our destination. The trail wasn't anything crazy, it just took a few minutes to get through.

The joy of living in Virginia was that there were secret beaches that not many people knew about.

Keagan stopped in his tracks and just took in the landscape.

I bit my lip and scratched the back of my head while I watched him. I was glad he couldn't see me being a creep.

"I used to come here all the time to clear my head," I said as I walked over to him. "It's my place."

Keagan looked away from the water for a moment to look at me.

"It's so... peaceful here. Why is no one else here?"

I kicked at the sand.

"Not many people know this exists. It's not a main beach; it's part of one. But it's secretive. That's why I like it here. It's calm. It's relaxing. It's perfect."

I hoped Keagan didn't realize what I was saying had a double meaning. Because I wasn't just talking about the beach. I was talking about him as well.

As much as he drove me insane, he also relaxed me. And he was perfect in his own way. I knew he didn't see it that way, but I did.

I looked up at Keagan and bit my lip again.

A huge part of me was praying that he would kiss me.

I needed him to kiss me. I missed it.

And he did.

He held my face in his hands and kissed me gently. I shivered unexpectedly and he pulled me closer. We didn't make out, we just kissed and that was it. And it was fine just like that. I didn't want more. I didn't expect more.

He pulled away and hung his arm around my shoulder.

"Thank you for bringing me Jamison," he said as he kissed my head. "I love it here."