Chapter Eleven ~ Loki

Coffee. What a strange mortal drink. I stared down at the cup on my table as I continued to ponder it. The drink does wonders for the brain, but can have unwarranted side effects on the person for an unprecedented time. I hesitated a moment, but grabbed the cup and took a small sip of the liquid. It was so unexpectedly hot I nearly spat it back out, though I refrained as that would be quite rude and disgusting. But first of all, who would want to drink such foul tasting, mouth burning liquid? It is torture, though that would make sense- there is always a catch. I chuckled to myself and gracefully stood up, depositing a golden coin on the table before walking out into the alley. I hadn't even made it five feet before I heard the first call. "Harry Potter!" The chatter of the alley suddenly dropped to whispers as every single witch and wizard noticed me, or my brother, in actuality. I continued to walk, seeing if they would ignore me, but of course that didn't work. Calls of 'Harry!', 'My hero!', 'Thank you for saving my child!', 'I love you!', and 'Potter!' could be heard as everyone seemed to stampede towards me. I could feel the color in my face drain as I broke out into a sprint, quickly casting a shield around me when I heard a few sticking and freezing charms being cast. I even heard a tickling hex just as I decided to swoop into a nearby store, Magical Menagerie, if I read the sign correctly. Forming my magic into an unbreakable shield and locking mechanism, I barricaded the door just as the first lady tried to bust it open. Ignoring the people banging on my shield, excellently done too, if I must say so myself, I forced myself to forget the possible trauma and look around. Slinking deeper into the shop, I could definitely see why it was called a 'magical' menagerie. There were all different sorts of creatures I had never seen before in the cages. There were little rats called pygmy puffs, which was then demonstrated by one puffing up to fill the entirety of its cage, a few nifflers, which looked like weird little fat rats -a mortal mole I think, little purple pixies, feathered snakes- apparently called occamies, crups, and kneazles, an odd lion-type cat. I found myself just standing in front of the many crates of kneazles, watching them all as they slept, ate, groomed, or toyed with some plaything. I'd always liked mortal cats. I wonder if the only difference between kneazles and cats are their appearance? One of them suddenly looked at me, shook its head, scratched behind its ear twice, and then went back to staring at me. It was a small little thing, all black fur with pretty jade eyes. We only stared at each other for a few moment before the kneazle seemed to huff in frustration and put a claw up to its cage gate. It glanced at that and then back at me with a kind of... annoyed... look on its face. "Do you want to be let out?" I couldn't help myself from asking the obvious as I took a few steps closer, watching as some other kneazles glanced at me and looked away. The creature only gave a soft mew, and I made my decision. Carefully casting an unlocking charm, I opened the door and watched as the kneazle flicked its tail playfully, lifting up its behind in a pouncing position before jumping into my chest. I quickly caught the little ball of fur before it could fall down, and chuckled as it nuzzled my hands. I gently ran a finger between its ears and down its back, causing it to purr in content. "I'm guessing you want to come with me?" I gave a small smile as the kneazle kitten purred louder, plopping down in my palm to lay against my cupped fingers. "Alright then little one, but I need to know what gender you are first." Quickly casting a gender identification spell normally used on babies, I silently thanked my adoptive mom for her idea of medical spells. I found the kitten was a girl just as it began to squirm, but I carefully placed her on my shoulder and pet her back, causing her to calm down again. "Come little one, let me get you some stuff. Maybe an elegant collar too." The kitten purred and licked at my neck, tickling me a little. I continued to pet the little one as I thought through what I should get her, and possible names. She would obviously need a collar, some food, and a tag, but other than that... well, what is magic for? I smirked a little as I walked to the collars section, noticing the gleaming gems on most first. Lifting up a white diamond velvet collar and holding it in front of the little kit, I smiled a bit when she shook her head. I placed that one down and picked up a pink bow one, she hissed at it, glaring at me. "Alright, alright, it was just a joke." The kitten mewled and laid her head back down, staring at the selection of collars. I took a few moments to think of what she could want- most likely something simple, yet elegant- and I picked up a silver chain with a small pendant, easily used for identification. Holding it in front of the little kit, she purred and stuck her head through, and I chuckled when I saw how small she was compared to the normal size. I cast a shrinking charm, making sure it was the correct tightness so it wouldn't choke her, but also wouldn't slip off. "Do you have a preference of food?" The little kitten looked up at me dubiously, as if she was wondering if I was smart at all. I stuck my nose up and sniffed in disdain at her which caused her to lightly swipe at my neck. I chuckled and continued to pet her, grabbing a bag of food that looked expensive but healthy. I walked up to the counter, watching as a small alarm seemed to go off, altering someone that I was awaiting assistance. A small lady with a little bit of pudge hurried out from the back, stopping almost immediately to stare at me. "Ma'am, I may look like him, but I'm not Harry Potter." She unfroze a bit, but still eyed me. "You have the scar though, how could you not be Harry?" I winced to myself, I forgot that my scar had been revealed when the glamour I had on naturally was released. "Well- you see- Harry has two brothers. They were triplets, and I'm the oldest, Loki Potter." The woman still doubted me, I could tell, but she ignored it. "If that is true then, when you see him, could you pass on my thanks? He saved my daughter and made this alley lively again." I nodded, smiling to myself. The Wizarding World may have pushed Harry onto a pedestal, but at least some knew how to give thanks. "Anyway, are you interested in buying that little kneazle hybrid?" I raised an eyebrow at the lady, a smirk falling onto my face. "I am much more than interested. How much will she cost with this collar and the food?" The woman seemed to contemplate it for a bit before smiling up at me. "I'll give them to you for fifteen galleons and thirteen sickles- twelve galleons for the kneazle hybrid, two galleons for the food, and one galleon and thirteen sickles for the collar. A little bit of a discount for the savior's brother." I felt a little touched that she would do that for someone that she wasn't even sure was related to Harry, but there was no reason to accept it. "No thank you, I'll take the normal amount. I am not going to use my brother's reputation for my own gain." It was the woman's turn to raise her eyebrow at me. "I appreciate the sentiment, but that is my final offer." I gave a small huffing chuckle and grabbed seventeen galleons out of my bottomless bag. "Keep the change then." I smirked as I quickly grabbed the food, made sure the kit was securely on my shoulder, and walked out, dissipating the shield as I did so. Sadly, I remembered what that shield was for a few feet out of the store. There were people staring at me from all directions, and I felt like the unlucky rabbit cornered by a hungry pack of werewolves. There was no escape. "Oh for Odin's eye."