Chapter Sixteen ~ Percy

"Did you really do all those things?" The girl sitting on my right leaned towards me, eyes wide as she stared inquisitively at my face. I gave a small chuckle and leaned back a bit, nervously scratching my neck. "Yeah, I- uh- I don't normally tell people though. And it's not like I did it all by myself either, I had several amazing people helping me with everything." The girl on the other side of me gave a sheepish smile and extended her hand in greeting before the other one could continue. "Sorry about her, I'm Hannah Abbot, and that's Susan Bones." My eyes widened in panic for a second before I let my shoulders relax and I gently kissed her hand, as I had seen a few people doing earlier when I got off the train. "I'm Percy." Hannah giggled and nodded, gently touching her hand upon its return. Was I not suppose to do that? Susan also giggled and gently swat my arm. "Such a charmer." I felt my cheeks heat as I tried to cover it up with a glass of water. I gave a quiet sigh of satisfaction as new energy rushed through me. I guess someone didn't know how hard it was to stand still and try not to fidget for a period of time until there were hundreds of pairs of eyes staring at them.
"Gods exist then." Hannah didn't say it as much of a question, but I nodded anyway. I scanned the table as Hannah thought and Susan ate, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I shrugged to myself and started grabbing my dinner. Separating everything with practiced ease, I cast a small 'incendio' at my offerings and murmured my apologizes and prayers. I hadn't been able to offer anything at the Weasley's because I didn't know if they could know or not, but with my secret already being revealed, I saw no harm in apologizing now rather than later. A small sea breeze gently ruffled my hair in thanks as most of the Hufflepuff table turned to state at me. "Percy, did you just burn your food?" I chuckled nervously, seeing a few annoyed looks on the students' faces. "Yeah... it's customary to burn food offerings for the gods because they can't eat mortal food. I didn't see a fire anywhere so I just, kinda... made my own?" I smiled sheepishly, until I noticed that most people weren't looking at me anymore, but rather something over my shoulder.
"Mr. Potter." I grimaced a little at the tone, but at least it was the correct last name. "Why did you burn your food? I know you are new, but casting magic at the table is not appreciated." I ducked my head a bit and turned to look at one of the teachers. "I'm sorry, Mrs....?" A kind smile smoothed the stern face, but the teacher's crossed arms did not change. "Sprout, your Head of House and Herbology teacher." I nodded my head as I filed that information away for later. "Thank you. Mrs. Sprout, you heard my titles right?" A sharp nod was his response. "Yes, erm, well, since I'm related to the gods, I have to sacrifice the best parts of my meal to them. They can't eat actual food, so the smell is a kind of substitute, I guess. I now know I'm not directly related to Poseidon, the God of the Sea, Horses, and Earthquakes, but I am a legacy of Lady Hecate, the Goddess of Magic and Cross-Roads, so I am still required to give them an offering every meal." The Professor seemed to turn one-eighty degrees as a 100 mega-watt smile bloomed on her face and she uncrossed her arms. "Well, then that's wonderful! I'm glad there are still children who volunteer to help their parents." I chuckled nervously before she turned and walked back to the staff table. Sighing, I grabbed a turkey leg and began to slowly eat, still getting used to food after my time in... /there/.
"Hecate? She's the goddess of magic?" I hummed in question, before realizing what the question was and turned to Susan. "Oh, yeah- well, kinda. She is a titan, but aided the gods during the Titanomachy, so a lot of people just call her a goddess. To my knowledge, she's perfectly fine with that." I waited a second to see if Grandma would send down a sign that she was displeased, like Zeus, but nothing happened. "Yeah, she's good with it."
Susan's face was twisted up in thought, and Percy couldn't help but smirk. She looked a lot like Harry when he was deep in thought. "Do you think we're related to her then too?" Percy chuckled at the innocent question, as she had hit the nail on the head without even knowing there was a nail. I brought my eyes to the enchanted ceiling of the hall as I tried to remember all that Grandma had disclosed in her letter. "Maybe not everyone, but a great few of you are. Everything that has magic is either her child, legacy, champion, or a descendant of one of her champions. Every person here falls into the last three categories. All of the 'purebloods' that can trace their magic back several generations are only descendants of Hecate's blessed, while all 'muggleborns' are either her champions or legacies. 'Halfbloods' can really be any of them, but usually they are legacies. All children of Hecate are considered Half-Bloods as well, but not in the sense the magic world views them. We use the term to describe our half-human, half-god genes. All Half-bloods go to one of two camps that cater to our needs, so you won't find any here."
Most of the table was quiet as people thought of what I had just said.
"Tell me, 'Supreme Lord of the Bathroom', was Helga Hufflepuff one of Hecate's champions?" I looked down the table to a boy about my age. He was scrawny, and, oddly enough, reminded me of Clarissa when I first met her. He had the same head tilt that she was always carrying around back then. A snob with a superiority complex that rivaled Zeus' then. I raised one of my eyebrows challengingly as I analyzed his body language- not a threat. "And you are?" I never liked Zeus when he thought he was the biggest deal compared to everyone else. "Zacharias Smith, one of her direct descendants." I nodded my head in understanding, but looked at him sadly. "She is, but being related to a champion does not give you any credit in Grandma's eyes." Zacharias' eyes narrowed while the food I had been holding disappeared. Staring down at where it had last been, I was surprised to see desserts where all the entrees has been before. Too bad I wasn't really hungry, those tarts looked pretty awesome.
With the appearance of dessert, many people went back to talking to their own friends, but judging upon what I could hear, it wasn't what they had been originally talking about. Shrugging lightly, I turned to Hannah as she made a choked sound. "You okay?" Her face looked red, and if she had been spasming, I would have likely thought she was choking. Even so, it still took Hannah a few moments to get out what she wanted to say. "I-I've never seen someone get away with insulting Smith like that before! Th-that was awesome Percy!" Rubbing my neck again, I smiled shyly. "Thanks, I just don't like people that think they are entitled to things just because of who they're related to." Susan nodded. "Yeah, everyone hates him, but his family has a lot of sway in our government because of their relation to a Hogwarts Founder and can cause a lot of trouble for our families if he wants to. Auntie despises them." I looked at her quizzically. "Auntie?" Hannah and Susan both gave soft 'oh's as they seemed to remember something. "Yeah, sorry. My aunt is the head of the DMLE in the Ministry, which stands for Department of Magical Law Enforcement. She is basically an unbiased judge for most court cases." I nodded my head, her comment now making sense. "Got it. So why-" I cut my sentence off as I felt a large magical presence swell within the Great Hall, my senses immediately going on alert.