Chapter Twelve ~ Harry

I watched, shellshocked, as Hermione bound Percy and took away his wand, but didn't stop there. Percy only stood coolly, but a little confused, even though his feet were tightly bound together. As Hermione prepared to fire another spell, I jumped out of my trance, taking a protective step in front of Percy. "Hermione! What's gotten into you? Why did you bind Percy?" Hermione scowled at Percy and gently put down Crookshanks, but never took her eyes or wand off of my triplet. "It's Crookshanks. He only ever dislikes someone if they're not to be trusted. Crookshanks even knew about Peter before we did! And think about it, you win the war and suddenly someone who looks like you springs out of nowhere claiming to be your long-lost triplet brother. You can't tell me that's not suspicious." I looked at Percy with sadness as what Hermione said sunk in. All of what she was saying made sense, like it always does... This time though, it felt different. "I have to admit, that does sound pretty sketchy. So whatcha gonna do about it?" Hermione jabbed her wand into his chest, almost making him lose his precarious balance. "So you admit to it then?" Percy laughed and shook his head. "Nope. I'm just wondering what a witch like you is going to try to do to unravel the mystery. You're a lot... like..." A mournful look formed on Percy's face as his eyes became far away. I looked to Hermione in in hope, he wasn't acting like a death eater- that or he was really good- and something made me want to believe in Percy. Hermione hummed to herself and pulled up Percy's sleeve, revealing a tattoo on his left forearm. I took a look at it and frowned, it didn't look like a dark mark, and it was swirling and changing shape. First it was a cross, then a firework, turning to a Pegasus, next a book, it didn't stop. "That's not the dark mark Hermione. He's not a death eater." I winced at the easily detected relief in my voice, but didn't really regret it. "It is something though, and in a rather convenient spot too. What is it? A junior death eater mark? A secret service? A backup plan?" I looked at Hermione in concern, she seemed to be overreacting a bit. Surely Voldemort couldn't have planned that- it wasn't his style. "No, but if you really must know, that was one of the marks I got from those dangerous situations I was talking about before- the stuff I had to do in America." Hermione relaxed her wand and took a few steps back, furrowing her brow and crossed her arms. "Prove it." I saw Percy quirk a brow, but he didn't comment on her attitude. "I, Perseus Potter, adoptive son of Sally Jackson, hereby swear on the River Styx that I have not lied to Hermione Granger." A clap of thunder followed his words, making Hermione and I jump, but nothing happened after that. "What was that? What did you just do?" Hermione had her wand up and in Percy's face again, and I was honestly just confused. "That was an oath sworn on the River Styx. If I had broken it, I would have been struck down by lightning and suffer a fate worse than death." I found myself to be believing Percy, today was warm and sunny, which is why Ron had wanted to play Quidditch, it didn't make sense for thunder to suddenly sound, and coincidentally right after Percy finished speaking. Horror settled deep in my veins as I realized that Percy had just offered up something worse than his life to prove to Hermione that he wasn't lying. What if whatever deity was overseeing the oaths thought he had? I felt a shudder roll through my body, but Hermione didn't seem to notice and Percy only sent me a wink. "How do I know that is true?" Suddenly, the pipes from the bathroom seemed to squeak as water began flowing out of the door, suspended in mid-air. Hermione shrieked and cast an cancelling spell, but that water didn't even ripple. "I would not be able to be doing this if the promise was fraud. The wizards of America hold their magic under a different oath, one that would take away their very life force should they lie." Hermione stared in bewilderment at the floating water as these thoughts sunk into her head, but I was filled with a quiet joy. The type of happiness one would get when they had hoped and hoped, and in turn, were rewarded, but was still plagued by doubt. I had been elated when Percy said he was my triplet brother, but one cannot stop the negative thoughts that Hermione had brought up. The fact that I now knew Percy was indeed my long-lost triplet brother gave me a satisfaction that couldn't be hindered. "Then... why does Crookshanks not like you?" Percy shrugged the best he could in binds, and- probably remembering he was bound- he somehow used the water to cut the thick ropes. "I don't know 'Mione, Crookshanks didn't like me when we first met." Hermione waved me off as she looked at her beloved cat. "Yeah, but we later found out it was because-" Hermione whipped her head towards Percy so fast I was afraid she would get vertigo. "The scar! Percy, do you have the scar?!" A sinking feeling became known in my gut as I realized where this was headed. "Which one? I have scars all over-" Hermione was in no mood for Percy's obliviousness, but he did have a right to be so ignorant. He hadn't even learned of the war until a little bit ago. It was crazy to me, as the war seemed to stretch over my whole life, but to someone else- even if that someone was my brother- it would seem like a foreign thing, as it didn't effect them. "The lightning shaped scar on Harry's forehead. Do. You. Have. It?" Percy furrowed his brow, but lifted up his hair anyway, showcasing a scar that looked all-too-similar to the one on me. Hermione let out a moan as she fell back onto her bed, disrupting a sleeping Crookshanks, while I felt the lurking dread hit me full-force. Voldemort was not dead. He would come back again. There was a piece of his soul in both Percy and Loki. There was no denying it, Voldemort had defied death once more.
These thoughts circled my brain, stuck in the never-ending cycle of despair and nightmares. I took a look at Percy again and positivity seeped back into my mind. The war was not over, but this time I was not alone. My two brothers shared my burden- the prophecy still needed to be fulfilled. They ask for the boy born as the seventh month dies, but no triplet is ever viewed as a whole without the others. There was still hope.