Beginning To See The Light

I walk through the doors

         I walk through the doors. It was the intern mixer the night before our first shift. I fidget my fingers, people were laughing and drinking and getting to know each other! Me, I was simply a wallflower. Occasionally a few people would look at me and continue their conversation. Being one of the youngest surgeons ever means I'm famous. In the intern game, that makes you meat. They want to tear me to pieces and the first step in that process is isolation. We do the same with disease. I step out and talk to my dad.

"I'm meat to them. They want nothing more than to tear me to shreds."

"I'm sure that's not tru-"

"Dad, I'm a 14 year old surgeon."

"It'll be ok." 

                I sigh and walk around the room wondering how to get along with a bunch of 28 year-olds who find me to be their competition and co-worker. I give up and walk upstairs and practice on a cadaver with Lexie. 

                 As I practice yet another stitch I continue to listen to Lexie's rant. 

"MMHMM, yes, totally,"

"----Are you even listening?!"

"Not one bit," I say honestly. She groans and walks out. I finish up and walk downstairs, the mixer was almost over, meaning I could probably leave.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THE NEXT DAY

         I get up at 4AM and start getting ready. As far as effort goes I didn't put much into it. I figure if I'm only going to change there's no point. I put on a black tee-shirt and some jeans with my comfiest pair of sneakers.

 I hear mom and Christina getting ready upstairs. Mom runs down to see that I already made breakfast and have everything together for her. 

"How-"

"We have 45 minutes until shift starts," I say not looking up from the article I was reading on modern techniques vs traditional ones. She grabs a piece of bacon and goes up to finish getting ready. In the car Christina keeps telling my mom to shut up and stop crying. 

      Before she finishes parking I hop out and race into the hospital due to the fact that I'm already late.I join the other interns in the initial waiting spot. One woman walks up to me, she was all bright eyed and happy.

"I'm Kylie Michaels,"

"Amity Grey-Shepherd,"

"Nice to meet you," I say to her. Lexie walks in. She gives the classic Bailey speech. I hold back my snickers and follow up at the front. She gives us our pagers and assigns us to services for the day. 

         In the group I didn't see mom, which confused me. They looked bored and were all crossing their fingers. Of course, I was put on some rando's service. I think he works in ped's. It's confirmed when we walk up to the ped's ward and hands me a chart. I read off the chart.

"Calden Ritch, 15 years old. Recovering from leukemia, needs an appendectomy" I look up. My heart jumps a little bit looking into his green eyes. I suddenly feel self-conscious of the lack of effort that I put into my hair and make-up.

"Congrats, on beating leukemia," I say after swallowing.

"How old are you?" His mother asks.

"I'm Dr.Grey-Shepherd. I'm 14 years old." I say shaking her hand.

"Doctor?! You're younger than my son and you're his doctor?"

"I understand this must be weird for you ma'am, however I assure you that I am fully certified,"

"Mom, chill. She has a badge right?" I look over at him and he does this little half smile thing that I have to admit is nothing less that gorgeous.

"I do." I say. 

"Dr.Grey-Shepherd, please get acquainted and answer any questions they may have," The resident says walking out. Mrs.Ritch's phone rings, she steps out to take the call.

"So, you're a doctor?" 

"Yeah,"

"Here I am holding a steady B average," He jokes. "So, What's your first name?"

"Amity,"

"Pretty name to match a pretty face," He tries to flirt.

"It's my first day, please don't get me fired," I laugh. 

"So, what's your story? I mean, boring people don't just become 14 year old doctors,"

"Well, two years ago as of, well, today I was brought in to the hospital because my foster parent beat me up for trying to steal some beer."

"What?!"

"Yeah, it gets better from there. I met these two surgeons, Meredith and Derek. After like, a month they take me in hoping to adopt me. By this point I had totally locked off the past and I was this perfect kid in a horror movie situation. Then when we found out my birth dad was still alive-" We spent another hour talking. After that I had to go see some other patients and do scrub work. 

              This day marked the beginning of everything, more than just my career, but of falling in love.