Chapter 6

"Free...this weekend?" Eleven asked curiously, enunciating the words slowly.

Mike shook his head, resetting what he had just said.
"Wait, no, let me start again. This weekend, do you...would you like to come camping with us?"

"...Camping?" She asked, a pained expression on her face, knowing she wasn't an easy person to talk to.

"Yeah! It's when you go and sleep in the woods!" Dustin chirped in, smiling.

Eleven's eyes widened in fear.

"What Dustin means is, you have a tent, and you sleep inside it" Lucas said. "A tent is like a small house."

"So, do you want to come?" Mike asked.

"Yeah! Come, it will be fun." Will said, smiling. He didn't know Eleven well, but he knew she meant a lot to the others.

Max walked forward slightly. "Please come. I don't want to be the only girl." She said, laughing and rolling her eyes.

Eleven stared at her blankly, then turned back to Mike.

"Yes. I will go." She said, smiling again at Mike, this time wider and brighter.

"Go where?" Hopper called from inside, taking on his role as a potential father.

"Camping." Eleven said, applauding herself for using a word she had just learnt. Hopper came back to the door, arms folded.

"No way am I letting you kids go into the woods by yourself. Think of something else to do." He said firmly.

"Nancy and Jonathan are supervising us! We'll be safe!" Mike pleaded. The others nodded desperately.

Hopper narrowed his eyes.

After a long pause he said, "Fine. But not too far into the woods. Is that clear?"

They all nodded. Eleven looked at them and nodded as well.