Chapter 22

Nancy's eyes opened slowly. Her bones were aching, and there was dried blood on her scalp. She got up shakily and sucked in her breath as she realised where she was.

Then it came back to her. Fear flooded through her. Nancy looked around her slowly. She was in the middle of a street, standing on the cold concrete; she didn't recognise the street at first, but then it came to her.

The Byer's house was just a few metres further.

Why was she here?

She ran up to it, scared to be outside for much longer, remembering the demo-dogs that had brought her there. Leaves rustled around her. Long, black vines made her stumble as Nancy reached the front door.

It gave way almost immediately; she barely had to push it before it opened to reveal the dark rooms and corridors.

Except there was one light.

At the far end of the corridor - Will's room.

Nancy clenched her fists, sweat beads trickling down her face. Her breath was jagged, unsteady.

Cautiously, she moved down the corridor, towards the light.

Pushing open the door with a shaking hand, Nancy walked into the bright light of the room.

---

"Dude. Where are we going?" Mike pressed, jogging to keep up with Jonathan.

"I don't know." He replied blankly.

"Then how are we going to find my sister?"

"I don't know." Jonathan continued. Then he paused, turning to look at Will, who was walking slowly next to him. "I think I've got it."

"What? What have you got?" Mike urged, desperation flooding through his voice.

"I know where we can look for Nancy."