Chapter 33

Eleven's eyes widened. She stumbled back, gasping. Brenner turned around, eyebrows raised. There was a moment of silence as he took in all that he was seeing; blood dripped down onto Eleven's clothes and sweat made her brown locks stick to her forehead. 

Brenner broke out laughing.

"You really thought-" He could hardly contain himself. "Did you really think...no, please! Did you really think I wouldn't have thought of that?" He rested a hand on Eleven's shoulder and looked at the rest of the group.

Tears streamed down Eleven's cheeks. She had failed. She couldn't do anything to Brenner, she was powerless. She glanced over at all her friends; at their dismal and heartbroken faces. But one of them stood out - Jonathan.

He was subtly pointing at the device in Brenner's hands and nodding his head fervently. Eleven's head whipped back at Brenner's outstretched arm as he laughed at Hopper and the others. Eleven thrust her chin forward quickly, and the device went flying through the air and onto the ground, between two demo-gorgons.  

"Wh-My..." Brenner stumbled with his words, shell-shocked. Eleven smirked and glared at him. He raised his fist in anger, advancing towards her.

Then he stopped, dropped and collapsed to the ground, yelping in pain. Hopper was behind him, his gun pointed directly at  Brenner.