Chapter 32

Eleven turned to Mike slowly. He shook his head, his eyes welling up.

"Not again," He murmured, sensing what was to come.

She nodded, taking his hands. Brenner laughed cynically at their display of affection. Mike continued shaking his head, willing the thoughts away. Willing the idea that Eleven was going to leave him again. He flipped Brenner off abruptly.

"I won't let you." Mike stuttered, holding her hands firmly. Eleven sniffed back and slipped her hands out of his.

No one else spoke during this dialogue. Finally, Hopper stepped forward.

"Wage you freakin' war. We'll be ready." He said firmly, latching onto Eleven. She looked up at him angrily.

"NO." Eleven snarled. She wasn't going to put her friends let alone all of Hawkins in danger. Hopper and her locked eyes. He knew what was about to happen, just as Mike did, just as everyone did. 

Then something clicked in his mind. Of course. Hopper looked at Eleven who smiled subtly. He let go of her, nodding. Eleven had a plan.

Mike let out a strangled cry as Eleven stepped forward, held back by Nancy. She stroked his hair, seeing the pain in her little brother, whilst whispering hopeful reassurances. Hopper glanced over at Jonathan, and with a little head nod, Jonathan realised.

Eleven stepped behind Brenner, dodging his outstretched arms. He ran a hand through his slicked-back hair and cleared his throat.

"Good choice, Hopper. Good choice. You were no match for these anyway." He gestured at the swarm of Demo-dogs.

Whilst this was happening, Eleven had been focusing intently on Brenner. A trickle of blood slipped out of her nose. Her head was shaking slightly, her palms open.

But nothing was working.