Chapter 24

"Nancy!" Jonathan shouted, forcing himself through her bedroom door.

She wasn't there; The room was quiet and cold but most of all...empty.

He turned around swiftly and ran back outside.

"Anything?" They asked.

"We need to keep looking." Jonathan said, determined.

"There's no need." A voice said from behind them. Max came forward.

"It's like looking for a needle in a haystack." She said, her arms folded.

"What did you say?" Jonathan said, advancing toward her. Max stepped back slightly, but kept her arms folded.

"I said we shouldn't bother looking for her anymore."

"Max-" Lucas intervened. She held up a hand to stop him.

"How do you know she hasn't already..."

"Max! What is wrong with you?!" Mike shouted, walking towards her, fists clenched.
"You have no say in what we regarding my sister."

Max swallowed hard, flushing red. She stared at them, and they stared back with sad and angry faces.

She turned around and ran back through the cold streets, ignoring the cries from her friends. Guilt flooded over her with every tear that fell down her cheeks.

She'd never forgive herself for this.

"No way. I won't let you take her." Nancy said, staring at Brenner angrily.

He chuckled. "I don't care what you say. I've already got her in the palm of my hand."

"What?" Nancy asked, terror lurking in her mind.

"They're here. They've fallen right into my open arms."

"No..." She whispered.