Chapter 35

"Quickly!" Nancy cried, diving into one of the apartment buildings and pulling the rest of them inside. Hopper slammed the door and bolted upstairs with the rest of the group. Will faltered behind, breathing heavily.

"Get inside!" Steve said from ahead, gesturing into one of the apartments of whose door he had just broken down.

"Was that necessary?!" Lucas asked, raising his arms.

"Well...yeah." Steve shrugged innocently.

"Does it matter?! Just get inside!" Nancy said, shoving Steve into the apartment.

Once everyone was inside, there was a long silence.

"So what do we do now?"

"We don't have much of a choice..." Mike said, his hand still latched onto Eleven's.

"We have to go back."
"Back where"
"Back to-"
"No! We can't!"
"We can't-"
"Eleven can..."
"No!"
"ENOUGH!"

"Let's go back. Close all the gates." Jonathan said, dismally.

"He's right. It's the only thing we can do." Will added quietly, his face still livid. Jonathan put a hand on his younger brother's shoulder. "We'll be ready if they come through."

"I don't see any other options." Hopper said, thoughtfully. "Your mother is probably worried out of her mind."

There was a thumping noise from downstairs.

Eleven stood up. "Now." She said.

Everyone stood up as the thumping grew louder. Eleven closed her eyes and opened another gate. The familiar drop of blood dribbled onto her upper lip.

The front door downstairs burst off its hinges and dropped to the floor. A loud cry came from the creatures parading downstairs.

But by the time they reached the apartment,  nobody was there.