Chapter 18

Jonathan ran into the camp, the creature still close on his tail. The others looked up, alarmed.

Steve ran forward and swung his bat wildly, hitting the creature square in the side.

Jonathan grabbed the nearest object he could find - a crowbar from the first time he had ever fought one of these.

He ran forward to help Steve, but was dismissed.

"Nancy...." he said between breaths "...she went to look for you." Steve swung at it again, sending it further away. "Go!" He shouted.

Jonathan ran past Max, who pointed him in the right direction.

"Nancy! Where are you?" He shouted. Jonathan ran through the trees, hoping to find some sort of clue to her whereabouts.

He pushed the dark thoughts out of her mind. She was probably walking back towards the camp right now, she's safe.

Then he saw it; a faint glimmer in the leaves.

Jonathan felt a lump in his throat, picking it up.
C
It was the ring Nancy normally wore on her index finger (see picture).

His heart dropped. Jonathan clenched the ring into his hands and ran back to the camp.

The demon-dog lay a bloody heap on the floor. The others stood around the campfire, silent. Mike looked up at Jonathan, as he came back.

"Did you find Nancy?" He asked.

Jonathan didn't answer. Instead, he turned to Eleven.

"I need you to open another gate to the upside down."