Pain

Maya's POV

Later that day...
So far, I have survived four classes and lunch. Everybody has treated me really differently than they usually do. Some people give me strange looks, some who I've never even seen before come up to me and ask what happened, and then there's the worst, the ones who pity me. Oh how I hate pity. I'm already getting enough of it from Riley.
Don't get me wrong, I still love her to death, and she means the absolute world to me. She just has to make everything so dramatic. It's usually pretty funny, but not when the drama involves me.
Anyway, I'm at my locker after lunch pretending to be looking for a book or something, but I'm actually trying to get my life together before my next class. All I want to do is go home and cry. I have somewhat held it together so far, but I can just feel myself slowly wanting to break down. I don't even know why, (A/N hehe Why puns) it's not like anyone has said anything offensive to me... yet.
Just as I'm thinking about that, I see Charlie walking towards me. I quickly try to hide my face deep inside my locker.
"Hey Hart," he says, "what happened to your foot? Did 'Lucas the Good' feel like beatin' you up too?"
Man, he's got a lot of nerve.
"N- no. Of course not," I reply.
"Then what happened, huh?"
"I slipped and fell. Not that it's any of your business," I mumble.
"Hey, you made sure Riley liked Lucas, and NOT me. Therefore, you will do what I say. OR ELSE."
"Or else?"
He slaps me in the cheek and I immediately begin to feel it burning. It'll probably leave quite the bruise. I wonder how I'll explain this one.
"Do NOT say a word about this, or it'll hurt even more next time," He says, and walks away.
I still have a few minutes before class because I left lunch early, so I decided to go to the bathroom and check the damage Charlie did. Sure enough, There is a large purple bruise forming on my left cheekbone. It's still throbbing. I look at myself in the mirror and begin to cry. Can this week go by any faster? I just want to stay home forever where I can't get hurt.
Just then, Riley walks in to see me sitting on the counter crying.
"What's the matter Peaches? Does your ankle hurt that much?"
I just look up at her and nod. She doesn't need to know about what Charlie did.
"Ohhhh, Peaches! I'm so sorry that had to happen, but soon it'll be a lot better."
"I hope so, Riles."
She hugs me tight. I wish she never had to let go.
"We'd better get to class, we're already running late," Riley reminded me after a minute.
I sigh and carefully hop down from the counter with my crutches.
"C'mon Maya! We have art next!"
I smile a little. Through everything that ever happens, I'm glad I'll always have someone there for me— even if they're not aware of what's happening.

A/N
Here's a pretty eventful-ish shorter chapter for y'all! I hope you enjoyed!
Anyway...
THIS HAS ALMOST 500 READS ALREADY TYSM🎉
Ily all to death♥️
Also, Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans! I'm Canadian, so we celebrated it back in October.
WHOSE EXCITED FOR SABRINA IN THE MACYS PARADE? I can't wait!
Thanks for reading!
-Shawna