Displaced

Maya's POV

"You wanna hear what I remember most from that time?" I ask Morgan, referring to just before my dad left.
"Sure."
I tell her about the day I met Riley, then end up telling a whole bunch of stories.
By the end of it all, we were both crying.
"Now I have a really good understanding of how you see Kermit... I'm so sorry you have to spend a month here with him," she says.
I sigh, "It's okay. He seems to have changed, I don't think anything can change how I see him though."
She nods understandingly.
"I'm really scared that my friends at home are gonna forget or abandon me, I guess. I've never been so far away for so long."
"You'll be fine. From what I've seen and heard, you're a tough cookie— or pancake. You can get through anything."
"Eh, I'm not so sure anymore. I'm not as strong as I used to be. Let too many people get to me. Olivia sure doesn't think I'm strong."
"She'll warm up to you, I'm sure. Now, how about we go downstairs and get some lunch?"
• • • •
-Monday Morning-
My alarm goes off extra early. School starts at 7:45, so I have to get up even earlier than at home.
I get dressed and head downstairs for breakfast.
When Morgan sees me, she gives me a tap on the head.
"Good morning, sweetheart! You ready for school today?"
"Ready as I'll ever be."
I sit down and she places a plate with scrambled eggs and toast in front of me.
I spread some peanut butter on the toast and dig in.
Once I finish, I get my backpack and other stuff ready to go.
Because I can't walk to the bus stop with Liv, Morgan drives me to school.
She walks me In, I meet the principle and find my locker.
As I put my book in my locker, Olivia walks over with all her friends.
"Well well well, look who it is!" Olivia says in a nasty tone.
"I can't see anything," one of her friends says.
The start to look around as if they can't see me.
"Oh, there she is! What a little slut," one says.
"Did you seriously hurt your leg, or is it for attention?" Olivia asks.
"Definitely fake," one friend says.
Olivia gives my good leg a good hard kick, knocking me to the floor.
They all laugh and walk away.
Everyone else in the hallway laughs along with them.
I try to stand up, my ankle feels just like it did when I first broke it, if not worse.
I don't know where the nurse is, nor do I know what my first class is, so I just sit there, trying to figure out what to do.
I decide to call Morgan. I can explain what happened later. I'm gonna have to tell the truth though.
I call and she pick up on the first ring.
"Hey Maya, what's up sweetie?"
"Hi... I- I had a little wipeout. I'll explain more later, but um, m- my ankle is like really hurting."
"Okay, I'm on my way. Do you know where the nurse's office is?"
"No."
"That's okay, just stay where you are, mkay?"
"Okay."
"I'll be there soon."
She hangs up.
I sit and watch all the students rush around, trying to get to class. Nobody gives me a second glance.
On their way to class, Olivia and her friends walk by.
"See ya later you little slut," one shouts.
I sink down, trying not to cry from physical and emotional pain.
After a little while, Morgan comes in and finds me sitting there, alone.
"Oh, Maya! Are you okay?! What happened?"
"I'm fine."
"Lemme go sign you out for the day. I'll take you home and see how it is, if it's really bad, we'll need to take a trip to the hospital unfortunately."
She helps me up and signs me out.
We head out to the car. Once we get going, she turns to me and asks, "So, how did you wipe out exactly?"
"Well, you're not gonna like this, but, Olivia and her friends were walking by while I was at my locker. They were calling me a slut and saying how my broken ankle is totally fake and stuff. Olivia kicked my good leg like really hard, so hard it's probably bruised, and I fell."
"Oh my goodness! I'm gonna need to have a good talk to Olivia about this."
"Please don't say anything! I don't want her to think I'm a tattletale or anything."
She sighs, "Fine, but it's really not okay how she did that."
• • • •
Once we get home, she sits me down on the couch and tries to take my big gray boot off. It's a major challenge because of how swollen my ankle is.
Once she finally gets it off, she takes a look.
"Holy moly!"
"What?"
"Was your foot in that position before?"
I look down at it, my foot looks like it's out of the socket.
My eyes widen, "No."
"That looks so messed up, oh my god. We need to go get it checked out. Let me call Kermit and let him know what's happening. Please text your mother, k?"
I nod.
I text her, explaining what happened. She probably at work, so she doesn't reply.
We go to the hospital. I wait, get my ankle looked at, wait, get an x-ray, wait, and finally get results.
The doctor looks at Morgan, then me.
"Well, the x-rays show that you have displaced your foot completely."
Morgan gasps.
"You'll need to have surgery so we can pin it back in place."
"What?! Surgery?" I exclaim.
"Yes, I'm sorry. You'll also have to spend at least another eight weeks on crutches. Then you may walk in you boot until everything has fully healed."
"Okay," Morgan says, "can she have surgery today?"
"Yes, I believe we are available in a little bit. You can go sit down in the waiting room until we're ready."
Honestly, could my life get any worse?

A/N
hi guysssss!
I SAW PITCH PERFECT 3 AGAIN YESTERDAY IM OBSESSED
i hope you enjoyed this pretty dramatic chapter! the next one should be pretty good hehehe😏
anyway, thanks for reading!
-shawna💙💛