Stars

Maya's POV

One weekend and Riley watching Descendants about a million times later, Monday rolls around again.
I do everything I possibly can to convince my Mom that I can't go to school. There is no way I am going through what I did with Charlie the other day again.
Of course— despite all my excuses— my Mom makes me go to school anyway.
Once I arrive, I head straight for class. I'm not taking any chances with Charlie around. I sit down at my desk and pull out a drawing I've been working on for the past few days.
"Good morning Maya, catching up on some homework?" Mr. Matthews asks.
I shake my head, "Just working on a drawing."
As the classroom begins to fill, Charlie comes over to me and whispers;
"Meet me by your locker at lunch."
I sink down into my seat.
"You'd better come, or else it'll hurt a lot more than it would've," he hisses.
He takes his seat and class begins. I totally zone out and begin to worry about what he would do today.
After class, Missy hand me a note which read: "Meet me after school, we need to talk."
I make my way over to my next class, confused.
•  •  •  •
During lunch, I tell my friends I need to go to the bathroom, and wait for Charlie my locker like he said. I'm afraid of what he'll do to me this time.
After a minute, I see a figure approaching me. They seemed shorter than Charlie though. To my relief, it's only Zay.
"He told you to meet him, didn't he?" Zay asks.
I nod, "I don't know what to do."
"He'll be here in a minute, we'd better get away."
"But where?"
"How about I take you to the nurse and tell her you aren't feeling well so you can call your mom and go home?"
"I don't know if my mom is home, and Shawn is doing photography in california this week," I whisper.
"Then we'll figure it out. Now lets go."
He takes me to the nurse, she tells me to call my mom. She's at work, so I call my second mom.
"Maya? Why are you calling me?" Topanga asks when she answers the phone.
"Hi... are you at home?"
"Yep, I'm only doing a little bit of paperwork from home today. What's going on?"
"I- I'm not feeling well, can you please come pick me up?" I ask.
"Of course! I'll be there in a few, okay?"
"Okay, thanks."
I hang up.
"Is somebody coming to pick you up?" the nurse asks.
I nod, "Yeah, she'll be here soon."
The bell rings and Zay rushes off to class. I thank him for helping me, and then wait.
• • • •
After a while, Topanga comes in and signs me out. She helps me with my stuff as we head to her car.
I climb in and she joins me a second later, after throwing my crutches into the backseat.
"So, not feeling well?" she asks.
"Yeah."
"Well, I texted Riley saying that I was taking you home. She'll bring your homework later, okay?"
I nod— which I seem to do a lot lately.
She pulls out of the parking lot. I ask if I can turn on the radio,
she says yes.
I switch threw the radio stations until I hear a familiar song— it was Stars by Alessia Cara. Ever since I first heard that song, it's reminded me of Lucas and I, even though I know we'll never happen.
I quietly sing all the words, I know them by heart.
"You like this song, Maya?" Topanga asks, smiling.
"Yeah, I guess."
"You're pretty good at singing, did you know that?"
"Uh, thanks," I continue to sing until the song ends.
"Oh we could be stars"

A/N
THERE IS OFFICIALLY ONLY TWO MORE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS🎉🎄
sorry this is a boring-ish filler chapter! the next couple of chapters may be pretty dramatic ooo😏
anyway, i hope y'all enjoyed this, and if i don't update again before christmas, then MERRY CHRISTMAS
also, what do you guys think of the little song parts maya has? i found a bunch that remind me of her!
-Shawna♥️💚