"Home"

Maya's POV

Olivia— my "half sister" gives me a fake smile and turns to her mother.
"That's her?" she whispers, "she's so tiny and weak. Worthless."
"Olivia! That is not how you should react to anything. Please don't judge a book by it's cover and while you're at it, keep you opinions to yourself," Morgan replied.
Olivia storms off up the stairs. A minute later, I hear the slamming of her bedroom door. Well, she's gonna make this month extra difficult.
"So sorry about Liv, she can be quite moody at times."
"That's okay," I reply, trying to hide how I really feel.
"Here, Kermit brought your stuff up to your room. How 'bout you go check it out and unpack?"
"Sure."
She brings me to the large staircase. I look at it, not knowing what I should do. I've never had to go up more than a couple stairs with crutches before.
"Oh," Morgan says, "um, do you think you can crawl up?"
I nod.
She holds my crutches and I carefully make my way up. She then comes up and hands me my crutches.
She leads me down a wide hall to a door. She opens it and I go inside.
I gasp at the sight of the huge room. There was a huge double bed, a desk with some little decorations and lights on it, a bookshelf already stocked with stuff, a dresser that's taller than I am, and a big mirrored closet.
"Woah," I say breathless, "This is waaay too much. You really didn't have to do any of this."
"Oh, we wanted to! Olivia and I spent hours making sure it was perfect."
"It is perfect," I whisper.
She laughs.
"I'll leave you alone to unpack. If you need anything, give me a shout. Dinner's in an hour."
She closed the door.
I begin to unpack my clothes and putting them in my dresser and closet. After that, I take out my art and school stuff and lay it on my desk.
Once I finish unpacking, I flop on my bed and let all those tears I've been holding in all day fall. I cry for a while longer, until I realize I need to clean myself up before dinner.
I go into my bathroom— that's right, I even have my own bathroom!— and look at myself in the mirror. I'm such a mess. I wash my face with cold water, hoping the puffiness of my eyes would go away. Of course, it didn't. I brush my messy hair and try to put on the best smile I can.
"Hey, at least my half mom and brother are nice," I say to myself.
Morgan calls me for dinner so I grab my phone and crutches and make my way down. Getting down is much harder than going up. I have to sit down, hold my crutches, and slowly scootch down the stairs.
I get a little lost on the way, but make it to the dinner table.
I take it all in for a second, the kitchen and dining room are both so big and beautiful.
The kitchen cupboards are so high, I probably couldn't reach past the first shelf. The dining room is stunning, there's a big table with elegant chairs around it, and a chandelier hanging over it.
"How much does he really make, wow," I whisper.
Morgan laughs, "Here, Maya, come sit over here."
She pulls out a chair for me and I sit down.
"Thanks," I smile.
I'm so busy admiring everything, I don't even notice the food sitting in front of me. Mmmm lasagna.
Wait.
"How'd you know lasagna was my favourite?" I ask.
Morgan chuckles, "I spent quite some time on the phone with your mother when all this was being organized."
"Wow, what else did she tell you?" I ask while digging into my lasagna.
I literally moan as my tastebuds are overwhelmed with deliciousness. This is the best lasagna I've ever had hand down.
"This is amazing by the way."
Morgan laughs, "She told me how you love art, especially drawing and painting, about your best friend Riley, about your secret love for animals."
I sink down In my seat and blush, embarrassed.
Olivia scoffs and "dad" laughs. Ben... I don't really know what he's doing, his face is stuffed with salad.
"She also told be that you love music and have watched all of the high school musical and pitch perfect movies a billion times."
I giggle, "Yeah, all except for Pitch Perfect 3."
"Oooh, maybe Livvy can take you to see that one sometime."
Olivia moans and rolls her eyes. Man, she really doesn't like me.
After dinner I head upstairs to facetime Riley. I miss her to death already.
Later, Morgan calls me down to watch a movie.
"Since Maya just got here, she can pick a movie, mkay?" she says.
She shows me a closet with soooo many dvd's.
I find Pitch Perfect 2 and hand it to Morgan.
"Good choice."
"The second one is my favourite," I say quietly.
She puts it on and much to Olivia's dismay, I sing along to every sing song.
Once the movie is over, I head up to my room and change into sweatpants and a Beatles t-shirt.
I lay on my bed, texting my parents and friends. God I miss them all.
After a little while, Morgan comes in to say goodnight.
She sits on my bed and looks around my room.
"So, how has all this been so far, Maya?"
"Well, I'm not gonna lie. I was terrified about everything to do with this whole ordeal. But so far, it hasn't really been bad at all!"
"That's good."
"I just miss my family and friends," I frown.
"I know, it's really hard. It'll get easier though. From what I've heard, you're pretty tough."
"Well, from a young age, I really had to be. It was really rough back then."
She rubs my back gently.
"I know, Olivia went through the same. Of course, she was pretty young when her father left. You're very strong."
"Thank you."
Me eyes were filling with tears. She gives me a hug and says goodnight.
I then cry myself to sleep because of... everything really.

A/N
HEEELLLOOOO
sorry for another long ass chapter, i couldn't help it lmao😂
i honestly can't believe gmw was cancelled a year ago. i still continue to watch and learn from it— and cry like all the time
anyway, happy saturday! gn guys😂
-Shawna