Bad News

Maya's POV

I spend my afternoon curled up on the couch in a blanket watching Topanga as she works. Later, Riley comes in and we do our homework together.
Later, my mom comes to pick me up. While we're in the car (I'm jamming out to pitch perfect soundtrack of course), mom turns the music off and looks at me.
"Honey, we need to talk about something when we get home, okay?" she says, I can tell there's something important on her mind.
She turns the music back on after a minute and I continue to sing along the whole way home.
As soon as we get home and take our coats and shoes off, she sits me down on the couch. She looks very concerned and perplexed.
"What's going on, mom?" I ask.
"Well," she sighs, "Okay so, Kermit called me today to tell me that somehow he still had custody over you."
I gasp, "But how?"
"When he left, he signed our divorce papers, but not the paper the determined who you stay with."
"But... then how did Shawn adopt me if he still has custody over me?"
"Apparently the government didn't notice that he hadn't signed that one paper."
I nod, kind of understanding what she's talking about.
"And your telling me this because...?"
She sighs once again and says, "He wants you to stay with him."
"WHAT?! NO!"
"He says it'll only be a month, and then he'll bring you back. If you dislike it, you won't have to go again. Or at least that's what he told me."
"I- I can't go. What about all my friends? What about Riley? What about school?"
She wraps me in a big hug. My eyes fill with tears.
"It'll only be a month, Riley will be fine. He said you'll attend school near his house," she whispers.
"How could you let him do this?"
"Oh babygirl, I tried to talk him out of it but he was so stubborn."
"When do I go?" I ask, sniffling.
"He's coming to pick you up on Saturday."
We snuggle up on the couch together, trying to keep warm in the chilly apartment.
"Please don't make me go," I whisper.
"You know I don't want you to."
•  •  •  •
The next morning, I wake up earlier than usual. I need to go over to Riley's and tell them about my dad, and I'm dreading even the thought of it.
I check my phone and apparently today is yet another snow day. I'm glad I won't have to deal with Charlie, especially today.
I get ready, and my mom drives me over there. I don't eat breakfast because I know I'll have it at the Matthews'.
I head up to their apartment and burst through the door the best I can with crutches in hand.
I sit down at the table and Topanga hands me a plate.
I didn't sleep at all last night, and apparently it shows.
As soon as she sees me, Riley says, "Oh Peaches! You look terrible, are you okay?"
"Well, I actually have some news for you guys, and I don't think you'll like it very much."
"What's wrong?" Topanga asks, clearly concerned.
All eyes are on me now, even Auggie looks interested.
"Um, so apparently my real dad, Kermit, somehow still has custody over me. Which means he practically still owns me.
When Shawn adopted me, the government did not notice a paper, the one that Kermit did not sign in agreement that I was only belonging to my mom."
Riley wraps me in a big hug,
I continue, "He wants me to come stay with him for a month. Because he has custody over me, I have to go."
I start crying and Topanga gives me the biggest bear hug ever.
"I'm really gonna miss you all so much."
"Awh, we know you will. It's only a month though, you'll be just fine."
Riley joins out hug and soon enough, the three of us are all crying.
"When do you have to leave?" Auggie pipes up.
"Saturday."
"That's too soon!" Riley says.
"I know."
Riley and I then head up to the bay window to talk and cry for hours.🖤

A/N
Hi guys!
I BET YA DIDNT SEE THAT COMING HEHEHE
Lmao sorry guys😂
Sorry if this doesn't make sense or is unrealistic, I tried😂
I hope you all had a great Christmas/holiday/week
ily all❤️
-Shawna