Memories

Maya's POV

I woke up on Sunday morning to Ben jumping on my bed. At first I had no idea where I was or what was happening.
"Wake up! It's so late!"
"What time is it?" I groan.
"Just kidding! It's eight I think," he says.
"Why'd you have to wake me up so early, bud?"
"I was bored, mom is the only other one up. You wanna come downstairs and eat breakfast with me?"
"Sure, I guess."
He pulls me up and hand me my crutches.
We head into the hallway and he laughs at the way i get down the stairs.
"What did you even do to get your robot boot?" he asks.
I laugh, "I was walking home and I slipped on ice."
"Did it hurt?"
"Yeah, it hurt a lot."
"Does it hurt right now?!"
"Just a little," I giggle, "how 'bout we go eat now?"
"Okay, okay."
I enter the kitchen to the smell of pancakes. I realize how hungry I am.
"Oh, good morning, Maya! How'd you sleep?" Morgan asks, smiling as always.
"I slept pretty well, it was weird sleeping in such a big bed though!"
She smiles, "Was it comfy?"
"Yeah, definitely. Much more comfortable than my old bed at home."
"I'm sure you miss your family and friends so much."
I nod, tearing up a little.
"So, who wants pancakes?!" she asks.
"Me!" Ben shouts.
"Shhh, dad and Liv are still sleeping," Morgan tells him.
Ben and I sit down at the kitchen island and Morgan brings three plates stacked with pancakes over.
They remind me of something...
"A couple years ago, my friend Lucas called me a short stack of pancakes and me and my best friend started this big argument because she didn't take my side. It was crazy until her uncle Eric came and settled things."
"That's a great story, Maya."
"Thanks," I say, laughing, "The nickname "Pancake" has kinda stuck ever since."
"Hi pancake!" Ben says.
• • • •
After breakfast, I head up to my room to get dressed.
As I leave my room once I'm ready, Olivia comes out of her room. She barely glances at me and hurries down the stairs.
She really hates me. I just wish I knew why. I mean, in a way, I can't blame her. I just showed up in her life and took away some of her precious attention. I really don't know what to think.
I go downstairs too, trying to carry my sketchbook and pencil along with crutches. I plan on drawing some of these beautiful rooms.
I decide to start with the huge front hall and staircase because they just look so fancy.
I sit on the floor and lean back on the front door. I take a look around and sigh before I begin to sketch.
After the hall, I draw the kitchen and it's tall cupboards and shelves that I'll never be able to reach.
Next, I do the grand dining room. Chandelier and all.
Kermit— I mean "Dad" comes over while I'm working and asks what I'm doing.
"Drawing everything I can so I can show my friends and parents."
"You have a phone, don't you? Why can't you just take pictures of everything?" he asks.
"Because I like drawing better."
"Oh. May I see them so far?"
I hesitantly show him. As much as I don't want to, I need to be polite.
As he looks, I remember everything he did. All the yelling at and hitting me and mom. I remember how this man that was sitting beside me ruined my entire childhood.
Before he can say anything about my drawings, I get up and go upstairs as quickly as I can before the tears start to fall.
As soon as my head hits the pillow I sob and sob, every little memory about my dad comes rushing back to me.
I remember my fifth birthday, when he wasn't home and I didn't get a cake or a gift. My mom couldn't afford them herself.
I remember the day when all the yelling got so bad, I ran away from home. That was the day I met Riley. I did not intend on ever going home.
I remember Farkle's birthday party when I hit my head off that park bench and needed stitches. He could barely pay for that, and I could tell he didn't really care either.
I remember so many other moments. Very few were good.
Lastly, I remember the day he left. Without a doubt, the worst day of my life. He said he was going on a walk and would be back in an hour at the most. Of course, he never returned.
At this point, my pillow is soaking wet and the tears don't show any sign of stopping.
I'm literally being forced to stay in the house of the person who basically ruined my life.
Morgan comes in and gasps at the sight of my small body, all curled up in a mess, tears everywhere.
"Maya, what's wrong sweetheart?"
I just continue to cry.
She comes over and sits beside me. She just watches me, stroking my hair.
"I know this is a lot for you, I'm sorry."
I sit up and look at her.
"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault."
"What's the matter, then?"
"I was just remembering my dad— not Shawn, Kermit— and how difficult everything was."
"Awh, I know it's tough. Your mother and I had very similar experiences with our previous husbands. Olivia was only two when her father left so she doesn't really remember him at all. You seem to remember a lot."
"Yeah, most of those memories aren't good though. You wanna hear the day I remember most from that time?"
"Sure."
To be continued... again.

A/N
hey guys!
sorry i haven't updated in like a week! i may or may not have been watching pitch perfect like every night😂
i also was bumped up at gymnastics bc the groups got switched around n stuff and i didn't fit with my group. unfortunately, now i have to be in the gym on saturdays at 8:30🙄😩
anyway, this mostly just a chapter about all of maya's memories of her father.
have a great weekend!
-shawna