Olivia

Olivia's POV

Ever since Maya came, things have been... different around here to say the least.
When I found out she was coming, I was actually excited to have someone my age to hang out with. I was all good until the day she came.
I couldn't force myself to leave my room. I don't know why, it's not like I'm shy or anything. I guess I thought she would hate me because of what my dad did.
I stayed upstairs until my mom called me down. I remember feeling almost fear or nervousness as I headed downstairs.
I entered my living room to see my mom sitting on the couch next to this tiny thing. She looked so tiny and fragile, the cast on her leg proving it.
She managed to smile weakly, I could tell she was absolutely terrified. I can't blame her to be honest.
A comment on her size and whatever slipped out and I earned quite the scolding. I remember feeling betrayed that my mother because she was taking this stranger's side.
• • • •
For the rest of the day, I pretty much ignored her. I don't know why, she just looked so broken. It was hard for me to take.
I just couldn't stop thinking about who the person who I have considered my father for much of my life kind of ruined hers. I was trying to imagine a totally different person.
Sunday carried on just the same. I barely looked at her or spoke. I just couldn't.
Monday was her first day at my school. I hang out with a pretty popular group so this is like my turf. I didn't take much manipulation from my friends to get me to go over and give her a piece of my mind. She really doesn't belong in this school, it's full of kids who make bad choices— not that Maya couldn't drink or anything if she wanted to. She would probably be too afraid though.
I headed over to Maya at her locker with my friends. We started trash talking her and stuff like that.
I began to say how her ankle injury was totally fake and felt like I needed to prove it.
To Maya and my friends' surprise, I gave her leg a big hard kick, knocking her to the floor. I laughed and walked away laughing, leaving her in tears. My friends followed.
I'm not gonna lie, it did feel kind of good. That feeling soon faded away though.
Halfway through first period I got a text from my mom saying she was taking Maya home and needed to talk to me later.
I knew I was probably in huge trouble. Somehow, nothing has happened yet, just a couple disappointed looks from my parents. I'm assuming Maya told them to leave me.
Anyway, I may or may not have like displaced her foot completely. She had surgery to put it back into place and may need another one.
I overheard my parents talking and she might have to stay here until her ankle heals.
She can't go to school because my mom won't let her yet, she wouldn't want her to come back anyway. I'm sure she wants to send Maya home in one piece.
Yesterday they went to get some scans and stuff done and my mom has been pacing around all morning waiting for a call from the doctor.
The doctor finally calls and my mom answers.
After a minute, she says, "I could be on here for a while so please be nice, okay?"
Now is my time, I'm finally going to talk to Maya.
I walk over to the couch. She's sitting there drawing, as usual. I sit down at her feet, minding where her bad ankle is.
"Hey," I say quietly.
"Hi?" she whispers.
"I need to talk to you."
She looks at me with her big innocent blue eyes, "Okay."
"Look, I'm sorry I've blocked you out since the very first day. I guess I thought you would hate me and steal my parents attention, which is stupid."
"It's not stupid," she whispers hoarsely, "but why'd you keep ignoring me? And why'd you say those things about me on the first day?"
"I don't know, it just hurt me to look at you. You were so broken and scared. When I looked at you, I saw my father. I kept imagining what he was like back then— when he was your dad. I thought it was just easier to ignore you."
"What about what happened at school? What made you do that?"
Her eyes are looking all teary now.
"I don't go to a good school, it's filled with many horrible people. I'm considered popular so my many friends convinced me to go trash talk you. I was jokingly saying how your injury was fake. I felt pressured to prove it and knocked you over. It felt good at first... but that didn't last. I feel terrible."
"That's okay. I'm sorry I just showed up in your life, I know it's been hard."
"Hey," I put a hand on her knee, "this isn't your fault. I'm sure that if you had a choice you wouldn't be here right now."
"This actually isn't a bad as I thought," she says, "I hope we can get along for the rest of this."
"Me too. I'm sorry I was like that before and I'm sorry about your ankle, I really shouldn't have done that. I feel so guilty."
"I'll be fine, I always am."
"I know you're not though. I can hear you crying every single night, even when you're downstairs."
"Oh crap, you can?" she whispers.
I nod.
For some reason, we just stare at each other for a minute. She begins to cry, so I go sit next to her and hug her tight.
My mom walks in to see us like this and smiles.
"So, have you two finally learned to get along?"
We nod as she grabs a tissue for Maya.
She sits down on the chair across from us. "So, I've got some news..."
Maya's face gets pale. I give her hand a squeeze.
"I was just on the phone with the doctor. He said that the foot was placed too far in the opposite direction it was before. It must've been put in the wrong place during surgery. Because of all the screws holding everything in place right now, it would be very difficult to remove them all and set everything in the right place."
"How are they gonna fix it?" Maya asks.
"He's not sure yet, he has to look into it more. Unfortunately, until we have everything figured out and fixed, he doesn't want you going home. We're not sure how long it'll be."
Maya starts to cry all over again.
"I know you miss your family, but in order to fully heal, staying here is best."
She stands up and rubs Maya's back.
"If you need to stay long, I'll work it out so that your friend Riley or your parents can come visit, don't worry."
Maya seems to be a little upset about everything, but I'm gonna try to be there for her this time.

A/N
hey guys!
i decided it was time olivia and maya got along😂 i hope you enjoyed olivia's take on everything!
-shawna