Other Family

Kermit, or "dad" as he still wants me to call him, helps me get settled into his car. We have a 6 hour drive to Massachusetts, where he and his family lives ahead of us.
For a while, he tells me about his new family.
His new wife was a widow with a daughter my age. His wife's name is Morgan and his daughter is named Olivia. He also has a son who's seven. His name is Benjamin or "Ben".
He asks me a few questions, I answer quickly or nod. After a while, we both fall silent. I pull out my phone and pop some earbuds in.
We both sit in silence for about an hour and a half. The song Piece by Piece by Kelly Clarkson comes on. Ever since I heard that song, it's made me think of how piece by piece, Shawn helped me and became my father.
Without realizing, I start singing out loud. My "dad" looks over at me.
"What's that you're listening to?" he asks.
I take my earbuds out and look at him, not knowing what to do.
"Um, it's called Piece by Piece. It's by Kelly Clarkson."
"What's it about?"
"Her childhood," I answer simply.
"What was her childhood like?"
"Like mine," I whisper.
"Oh," he replies. I think he regrets asking.
I return to my music and our silence remains until he needs to stop for lunch.
He pulls into a parking lot, unbuckles his seatbelt, and turns to me. I turn my music off and remove my earbuds.
"Okay so, what do you want to eat?"
I shrug.
"Well, there's a Wendy's right over there, how 'bout we have that."
I nod. So he pull up into the drive through and asks me what I want. I shrug once again.
"C'mon, you gotta tell me something. Or I'll have to order for you."
"Fine. Can I please have a caeser salad."
"Oh cmon, that's not enough!"
"I'll be fine."
We pull up, he orders his stuff, then my salad, then fries, then ice cream. I assume it's all for him until we pull up to the window and he hands it to me.
"Oh no, I- I can't eat all this," I tell him.
"You need it, look at you! You're so little!"
"But this must've cost so much."
"Maya, last year, I got a really well-paying job. Don't worry about it."
I sigh and begin to eat. I barely finish my salad, eat half my friends, and a spoonful of ice cream— I get the worst brain freeze and give the rest to him.
"Jeez, you really don't eat enough."
"I eat fine."
"No you don't, look at you. You're so thin and short."
I sink down into my seat. I can't stand it when people mention my height.
"What'd you do to your foot, anyway?" he asks.
"I broke my ankle."
"Aww. How'd that happen?"
"Slipped on ice walking home from school."
"Well, that's too bad," he frowns.
He starts driving again. I listen to my music and look out the window for the next three hours.
"Here we are!" he exclaims, making me jump.
We pull up in front of a large house in the country. The landscape is covered in glistening snow. It's so beautiful, all I want to do is paint it.
"C'mon, Maya! Get your crutches, it's cold out here!"
I carefully get out and hobble over to get my crutches. This place is so amazing, I hope the people are too.
I suddenly grow really nervous about meeting "dad's" family.
Just then, I figure appears at the door, smiling at me.
I make my way over to her. She's very tall, her skin is a caramel color, and she had beautiful straight black hair.
"Hi, Maya! I'm Morgan."
She holds out her hand for me to shake it and soon realizes I can't let go of my crutches.
"Oh my god, I totally forgot! Your mom told me about your poor ankle! Please come in and sit! Kermit's got all your stuff.
She helps me into the house. I stop for a moment to take it all in.
"It's so big," I whisper.
Morgan laughs.
I suddenly see a small boy hiding behind her.
"This is Ben," she says, "Say hi to your half-sister, bud"
He comes out of hiding and he waves, I smile because my hands aren't really available at the moment.
Ben looks like his mom, except for his bright blue eyes. They look just like mine.
Morgan brings me to a sitting room with a big tv and leather couches. I sit down and she helps me with my coat.
While she's putting it in the closet, Ben sits beside me.
"Hi!"
"Hello!" I laugh.
"I'm Benjamin Elliot Hart! What's your name?"
"My name is Maya."
"That's it? Just Maya?"
I giggle, "Maya Penelope Hunter."
"Penelope?!" he asks, laughing like crazy.
Morgan comes back in and sits beside me.
"My daughter, Olivia is upstairs, she's about your age. I'll text her and tell her to come down."
"Okay."
I start to talk to Ben again, he's a lot of fun.
After a minute or two, I hear footsteps coming down the stairs.
"What is it mom?"
Olivia comes into view. She's very tall, like her mom. She has dark curly hair and hazel eyes. Wow, this family is very good looking.
"Come say hi to Maya, Livvy!" Morgan says.
She looks at me and frowns. I try to be polite.
"Hi," I say, looking (way) up at her.
She gives me a fake smile and turns to her mother.
She whispers...
To be continued😂

A/N
sorry for the incredibly long chapter, i got a little carried away😂
also i didn't proofread this so pls point out any mistakes lmao
i hope you guys enjoyed this! i'm having waaaay too much fun writing
anyway, have a great... thursday? idk y'all🤣
thx for reading!
-shawna