Thud

Maya's POV

-Friday Morning-
I wake up hoping today is another snow day. I'm feeling better, so I won't have to miss school today. Yesterday wasn't a snow day, but I was so sick. Shawn was back from his trip by then, so he stayed with me until Riley could come over to do homework with me.
I get out of bed and get dressed despite my urge to pretend I'm still sick. I know my mom will see right through it anyway.
I get a text from my mom saying that Mr. Matthews would be taking me to school today because she is working.
I get my coat and stuff on and wait for him. He'll be here earlier than I would usually leave because he has to get to school early, so I guess eating can wait.
He knocks on my door at around 7. I tell him that it's unlocked and he comes in.
"Well hello there Miss Hart, how's the ankle?" he points to my boot.
"It hurts, but it's not as bad as it was the other day," I respond.
He helps me with my bag, and we head out to his minivan. I get in and he takes my crutches and puts them in the backseat. Auggie was sitting there.
"Oh, hey Aug," I say, "I wasn't expecting you to be here."
"I wanted to see your big robot leg. It looks so cool!" he replies.
I laugh, "It's not so cool to me, it makes it pretty hard to get around."
"They should make casts that have robot superpowers that can blast you to wherever you need to go. You wouldn't need these big things," he says, playing with my crutches.
"That would be pretty awesome."
We talk for the rest of the ride. When we get to school, Auggie hops out of the car and hands me my crutches. He's grown so tall that these were the right height for him! He's just about as tall as me now. Riley also had a growth spurt over the summer, and now she's almost 5'8. I feel even smaller in our group of friends than ever.
We head into the school and Auggie follows Mr. Matthews to his classroom.
"C'mon Aug, you can come hang out with me until your mom comes to take you to school," he says.
He then turns to me, "Will you be okay by yourself, Maya?"
I nod. Auggie comes over to hug me goodbye, I love him to death.
• • • •
I'm sitting on a bench waiting for my friends to show up, when none other than Charlie strolls through the empty hallways. I pretend to not acknowledge his presence.
He walks over and stands right in front of me.
"Hey Hart, where were you yesterday, I had something to tell you," he says.
I ignore him and stare at my phone.
He grabs my phone and throws it on the ground. I can tell it's shattered.
"So... were you afraid to come back because big ol' me scared you too much?"
I remain silent.
He grabs the collar of my shirt and holds me up to his face, forcing me to look into his eyes. Me feet couldn't even touch the ground.
"WHERE WERE YOU?" he demands.
I finally give in.
"Sick."
He lets go of my shirt, drops me, and walks away. I land with a loud thud. Luckily, Mr. Matthews's classroom is on the other side of the school, so he probably didn't hear that.
I curl up into a ball on the floor and begin to cry.
After a minute or two, I see a figure approaching me. They sit down beside me.
"Hey, Maya," they say.
I look up to see a familiar face.
"Zay?" I ask.
He nods.
"Did you just see all that?" I ask, still tearful.
He nods again, "How long has he been doing that to you?"
"Since Monday."
"Is that why Lucas— Woah."
I nod and begin to cry harder. He gently rubs my back. Zay and I don't really like each other as a couple, but he's always there for me.
"And then you ran out of school and slipped on ice while running? That's how you broke your ankle."
I begin to break down in tears as I nod. He carefully lifts me up and sits me down on the bench. I wince a little.
"Man, he must've dropped you hard," Zay says.
He goes over and grabs my phone. Sure enough, the screen is completely shattered. He hands it to me.
"He needs to stop, Maya.This is abuse, and I don't want you to have to live with it."
"Please don't tell anyone," I beg.
"You know I won't."
He wraps his arm around me and I rest my head on his shoulder. For once, I actually feel safe...
Until Lucas comes in and sees us sitting there.

A/N:
Hi guys!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm kind of proud of it🙂
Should the next chapter be Zay's POV of this situation, or Lucas's after he comes in? PLS COMMENT❤️
Anyway, I hope y'all have a great week!
-Shawna