Shook

Zay's POV

It's Friday, so I head to school early so I can get it over with.
I walk through the empty halls to put my stuff in my locker— which is downstairs.
I decide to go upstairs to the main hall and see if anyone is there.
I get halfway up when I hear a familiar voice. I peek through between the railings from inside "The Hole" to see what's going on.
I see Charlie Gardener—y'know, the cheese soufflé guy— standing in front of a bench. I can't tell who's on the bench because stupid Charlie is blocking my view. NOBODY blocks Zay's view.
Charlie takes something out of the person's hands and throws it on the ground. I assume it's a phone. I don't know why he would throw someone's phone though.
I try to hear what they're saying.
"So... were you afraid to come back because bit ol' me scared you to much?" I hear in Charlie's voice.
I'm so confused. What does he mean "afraid to come back"? The only person I noticed missing yesterday was...
Holy crap.
I try hard to get a look at the other person. I see a big gray boot on their leg and long blond hair. Just as I expected, it's Maya.
Just then, Charlie grabs her by the collar or her shirt, lifting her small body off the ground. I'm so tempted to go jump in and protect her, but I really don't need a reputation like Texas Lucas's.
The next thing I hear echoes through the hallway:
"WHERE WERE YOU?"
I hear a small voice whisper, "Sick."
I could tell by her voice that she was beginning to cry.
He then lets go of her shirt and she falls to the floor with a loud bang that shakes the ground. Charlie strolls away, I doubt he believes Maya's answer.
She curls up into a little ball on the floor, sobbing.
I wait a minute to make sure the coast is clear before I approach her.
I sit down next to her and say, "Hey Maya."
She takes a moment to catch her breath before she looks up at me with her big blue eyes, clouded with tears.
"Zay?" she asks hoarsely.
I nod, not really knowing what to say.
She sniffs, "Did you see all that?"
I nod again and ask, "How long has he been doing this to you?"
"Since Monday."
Wait... a... second...
I THINK I KNOW WHATS HAPPENING. That's a first, I'm a shookie cookie.
Then I remember I probably need to say something.
"Is that why Lucas— woah."
She nods a little and begins to cry even harder. I had no idea it was possible for a human her size cry so much.
I gently stroke her back, hoping it calms her down.
I would be lying if I said I didn't have feelings for Maya. They aren't strong though. I may or may not like someone else... Anyway, I always try to be there for my friends, especially Maya because I know she hides things and hurts a lot. She just seems very helpless. Especially right now.
"And then you ran out of school and you slipped on ice while running? That's how you broke your ankle." I say.
Now she is literally breaking down in tears. It hurts my heart seeing her like this. I decide to gently lift her up off the floor, and place her back on the bench. She winces in pain.
"Man, he must've dropped you hard."
I go over and grab her now shattered phone. I hand it to her and sit beside her.
I look her in the eyes and say, "He needs to stop, Maya. This is abuse and I don't want you to have to live with it."
"Please don't tell anyone," she whispers.
"You know I won't."
I wrap my arm around her and she rests her head on my shoulder. Her crying slows to a stop after a while.
We watch the halls fill with students bustling here and there. Maya was now just fine. Until Lucas shows up, that is.

A/N
Hiiiii
So, I knew I needed Zay's POV to explain the situation in more detail... and added a lil bit of Zay humour, of course😉
Anywayyyyy I hope you guys enjoyed this! I enjoyed writing it lmao😂
-Shawna