waking up

Adam woke up and realized that he was underwater. He rose from the water, gasping for air. He lifted himself out of the tub and fell to the floor. When he got to his feet, he tried to move but felt a tug. His hands found the chain and followed it to a pipe.

"Help! Someone help me" Adam said, hoping that someone would hear him. There was a loud dragging sound, and he looked off into the darkness. "Is someone there? Shit, I'm probably dead"

"You're not dead" spoke a raspy voice.

"Who's that?"

"There's no point in yelling" the other man's voice was a lot calmer than Adam's. "I already tried it"

"Turn on the lights"

"I would if I could"

"What the fuck is going on? Where am I?" 

"I don't know yet"

"What is that smell?"

"Shh! Hang on a second, I think I found something" There was a click and the painfully bright lights came on, and Adam squinted in pain. That's when the woman who was in the bathroom also woke up. The two men noticed the deady body that was in the middle of the room. Adam turned away and began retching. 

"What the hell?" the woman asked, not yet realizing the predicament she was in. Her eyes opened and the first thing she saw was the dead body. She screamed and stood up, feeling her chain yank on her ankle. It was attached to the pipes on the sink closest to the bathtub. She looked to her left and finally took notice of the blonde man. She didn't notice Adam until he began to scream.

"Help!" He fell to the floor and began yanking on his chain. "Help! Help!"

"Do you really think anyone can hear us right now?" the woman said. Adam stopped pulling at his chain, stood up and looked to the woman.

"What the fuck is this?" he asked

"Calm down, just calm down. Are you two hurt?" the other man asked. He looked the woman first, who just calmly shook her head. The man then looked to Adam.

"I don't know...yeah!" he said

"What's your name?" 

"My name is very fucking confused! What's your name? What's going on here?" 

"My name is Lawrence Gordon, I'm a doctor. I just woke up here, just like you two" 

"I'm Vivian" the woman spoke. Adam was on the ground again, trying to pull at his chain. He tried pulling his foot out, making him groan in pain. Lawrence and Vivian made eye contact. 

"Do you recognize him?" he asked her, pointing at the body.

"Can't say that I do" Vivian's attention turned towards Adam. "How about you?"

"No"

"Do you two have any idea how you got here?" Lawrence asked

"No" Vivian and Adam both replied.

"What's the last thing you remember?" 

"Nothing. I went to bed in my shithole apartment, and woke up in an actual shithole. What about you, huh?" Adam said

"Well there's...there's not much to tell. I was on my way home from work and uh, I don't remember anything else" Lawrence explained. At this point, Adam had given up with the chain and just sat down. He looked towards Vivian.

"And what about you?" he asked

"The only thing I remember is heading over to my sister's, and then I woke up here" Vivian explained, as she sat down as well. 

"First dead body I've ever seen. They look different in real life. They don't move" Adam said. Lawrence sat down, and started poking at the iron cuff around his ankle.

"From the looks of these chains, someone didn't want us to go very far either" he said. Adam suddenly stood up, and lifted up his shirt.

"Can you see any scars?" he asked

"What?" 

"Huh? This is what they do man. They kidnap you and drug you and before you know it, you're in a bathtub and your kidneys are on eBay" 

"I don't think anyone took your kidneys" Vivian said, in a matter of fact tone.

"How do you know?" Adam said, still searching for scars.

"She's right. Because you'd either be in terrible agony, or you'd be dead by now. Trust me" Lawrence said

"What are you, a surgeon?"

"Yeah"

"So, do you have an actual name or no?" Vivian asked. She stood up and moved closer to Adam. He turned to face her.  

"Adam" He felt a bit calmer when he finally got a good look at her face. She was really pretty.

"Well Adam and Vivian," Lawrence spoke as he got to his feet. "What we need to do is start thinking about why we're here. Whoever brought us there could've killed us by now. But they didn't. They must want something from us. Question is what?" Lawrence moved forward a bit and noticed the clock that was above Vivian. "That clock"

"What about it?" Adam asked

"It's brand new" 

"So?" 

"Maybe someone wants us to know the time" Vivian said. She looked around the room and noticed the door beside Lawrence. "Lawrence, do you think you could reach the door?" He moved as far as the chain would allow and he began pushing on the door but with no luck. Adam started searching through his pockets and pulled an envelope wrapped in plastic out of one of them. He opened it up and pulled out a tape.

"What is that?" Lawrence asked. Adam didn't answer. "Excuse me"

"It's a tape" Adam said

"Where did you find it?"

"It was in my pocket" Lawrence and Vivian both searched their pockets and each found an envelope with their name on it. "It says play me" Lawrence opened his envelope and Vivian did the same thing. Her envelope contained a tape that said "play me" as did Lawrence's. There was also a bullet and a key in his. He tried using the key to free himself from his chains but it didn't work.

"Throw it over here" Adam said. Lawrence threw the key in Adam's direction. He picked up the key and tried using it but it wasn't working for him either. Adam looked towards Vivian. "Do you want to try?"

"If it isn't going to work for you two, it probably won't work for me" she said. Adam looked at the body, and then picked up his tape, giving it a quick look over. He then tried reaching for the tape player. 

"Use your shirt" Lawrence suggested

"What?" Adam asked

"Your shirt" Adam caught onto what Lawrence was saying. He took off his long shirt. He held onto both sleeves and tried catching the tape player with the shirt, but couldn't quite get it.

"It won't work" 

"There's gotta be something else you can use around here" Vivian said. Adam looked in the bathtub and took out the plug. He tied the cord around the sleeve of his shirt. It took about three tries before he could reach the tape player. He pulled it towards him. When he grabbed it, he open the player and popped in the tape. He closed it, pressed play and a voice spoke.

Rise and shine Adam