vivian's neighbour

*five months ago*

Vivian and Amanda went back to the former's apartment. Vivian still felt a bit uneasy from her encounter with Dr. Gordon. Amanda could sense this.

"Viv, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just worried about you"

"I'll be fine. Do you have anything to eat? I'm starving"

"If you find anything appetizing, I'll cook. While you're doing that, I'll be checking the mail" Vivian grabbed the keys and made her way down to the building lobby where the mailboxes were. She was sifting through her mail when a concerning letter caught her attention.

It was from her ex-boyfriend Warren. They were together for three years before Vivian ended things off with him for being abusive and possessive. He even raped her on several occasions. Ever since then, Vivian had had a hard time trusting any man. She ripped open the letter and began reading it.

Viv,
I'm writing you this letter to let you know that they let me out of prison. Don't ask how I got your address. Just know that I'm coming to get you and then we can get married like we always wanted. Nothing is stopping me from getting you.

Warren

Vivian angrily ripped up the letter. Why the hell did they let that piece of shit out of prison? She worked so hard to get him in prison.

"Hey, is everything alright?" a soft voice asked. Vivian turned around and noticed her neighbour who lived right across the hall from her. His name was Adam Stanheight.

"Hey Adam. It's nothing"

"Are you sure it's nothing?"

"Yeah" Vivian took note of the camera Adam had in his hand. She knew the people paid him to follow people around and take pictures of them. "Catch anything good today?" Vivian motioned towards the camera.

"Not really. Do you want me to walk to your apartment?" Adam offered. She accepted his offer with a nod and a smile. She always felt comfortable around Adam and liked being alone with him for some reason.

"Well, this is me" Vivian said as they approached her door.

"Yeah, me as well" Adam said, referring to the apartment across from hers. He opened the door and was about to go inside when Vivian stopped him.

"Do you think you could take my picture sometime?" she asked.

"Y-yeah. Just name a time and place" he replied.

"Great. I'll talk to you later, okay?" Adam gave Vivian a smile and a nod, before she retreated into her apartment. He entered his own apartment.

~

Adam was in the process of developing some photos. He was paid to follow people and take pictures of people, but none of the pictures were of people he was asked to follow. They were of Vivian. He's been in love with her since the day she moved in across the hall. She first moved in about a year ago, and Adam ran into her as she was bringing boxes inside.

~

It was like any other day for Adam. He got paid to follow people around and take pictures of people. It wasn't the best job in the world but it put food on the table, and photography was what he did best. When he entered the apartment building, there were boxes in the lobby. It looked like someone was moving in. He heard the voices of two women coming down the stairs.

"You know, Allen and I would have let you stay with us. You wouldn't even have to pay rent" the first woman said.

"Michelle, I appreciate that but I can take care of myself" the other woman said.

"I know Vivian but if he finds you---"

"He's in prison. Besides, I still have Detective Hoffman's number incase anything happens" The two women finally reached the end of the stairs, and they both grabbed a box. The younger woman took notice of Adam. "Oh, hello"

"Hi" Adam replied. The other woman turned to look at him as well. Both girls had red hair. The older of the two seemed to be in her early thirties while the younger one looked to be around Adam's age. "Are you two moving in?"

"I'm the one that's moving in. My sisters just helping me with the boxes" the younger woman said.

"Would you like an extra hand?" 

"We'd appreciate that, thank you" she replied with a smile. Adam gave a grin in return and grabbed one of the boxes. "I'm Vivian by the way, and this is my sister Michelle"

"I'm Adam" He began to follow Michelle and Vivian up the stairs until they reached her apartment. It just so happened to be right across from his. "Looks like we're neighbors. I live right across the hall"

"That's awesome" Vivian said as she set a box down. She took notice of the camera around his neck. "Are you a photographer?" 

"Yeah. I mean, I don't take professional pictures in a studio or anything. People pay me to take pictures of other people"

"So, kind of like a private investigator?" Michelle asked.

"Yeah, except I just take pictures and give them to my clients" Adam explained. Michelle's cell phone started to ring and she answered it. 

"That was Allen. Zoey isn't feeling well"

"Go. Your daughter needs you. Adam can help me with the rest" Vivian said. Michelle hugged Vivian goodbye and waved to Adam as she left the apartment. "So, shall we get the rest of those boxes up here? Then as a thank you, you can come over and I can make us some dinner"

"I'd like that" Adam said. She flashed him another smile and right then and there, Adam knew that she was the girl of his dreams.

~

 Adam stared at the picture in his hand. If Vivian ever found out that he secretly stalked and took photos of her, she would never talk to him again. He heard a knock on his front door which knocked him out of his Vivian related thoughts. When he went to answer the door, it was the love of his life with tears staining her cheeks.

"Adam, can I spend the night here? I can't be alone tonight" she said.

"Yeah. Make yourself at home" he said.

~

*Present Day*

"I think my memory is finally coming back to me. Adam and I are neighbors. That's why he's so familiar to me. We literally pass each other in the hall everyday" Vivian said.

"It seems that Adam and I both connect to you" Lawrence said.

"Yeah. I'm your neighbor and Lawrence is your dad's doctor" Adam said.

"The question I have is why does that matter? What makes me so important to you two?" Vivian asked. It was the one thing Lawrence and Adam had in common with each other though they didn't know it, and Vivian didn't know either. Both of them had feelings for the girl.