a preposition

John tended to the wound in Vivian's shoulder. He removed the bullet and cleaned the wound. Amanda was on the opposite side of Vivian, holding her hand and smiling down at her. Vivian's attention turned from Amanda to John.

"How do you know me?" Vivian asked.

"You may not remember but we have met before. Your father and I shared a room at the hospital. We became very good friends. You and your sister visited often. I believe her name is Michelle" John explained.

"Yes. Ever since my dad died, it's just been me and her. There's our brother Nick, but he gets so caught up in his work. He's an FBI agent" It was quiet for a moment before Vivian spoke again. "Why did you do this to me?"

"I'm the one who suggested to put you in the game" Amanda said.

"But why?"

"You had a similar connection to Adam and Dr. Gordon. I know you have trouble trusting men ever since Warren Braden was arrested, and got out of prison earlier than he should have. You trusted both men, and they betrayed that trust. Dr. Gordon gave you unwanted attention, and Adam secretly took photos of you" John said

"Yeah but I've forgiven them both"

"I know. You were willing to sacrifice yourself for Adam, and I can see in your eyes that you wish you could have taken Dr. Gordon's place"

"Even if you didn't forgive them, you still would have lived. I would have come to get you out of that bathroom either way" Amanda said.

"When can I see my sister? I haven't called her in three days. She's probably very worried and already reported me missing to the cops" Vivian said

"Very soon. I promise you. I wish to discuss something with you first" John said. He grabbed another key and gave it to Amanda. "I want you to leave us while we talk"

"What's this for?" she asked.

"An extra key for Adam's chain"

"But he failed his test"

"Vivian forgave him and she deserves to see him. Go set him free" Amanda nodded and went off to the bathroom. She wasn't too happy about letting Adam go but this is what John wanted and more importantly, this is what Vivian wanted. Vivian and John were alone.

"You're really letting him go?" Vivian asked.

"Yes" John said

"Where's Lawrence? Is he okay?"

"I promise you that he is alive and he is recovering. Do you know why I do what I do?"

"You mean you don't just put people in situations where they either have to hurt themselves or die just for the sake of it?"

"People don't value their lives enough. It's not until they're faced with imminent death that they learn the true meaning of life. Those that have the will to live, survive and start to appreciate their life. Those who fail my tests simply don't deserve their lives. They don't appreciate life"

"Like Amanda. She was a drug user, and then you tested her. She hasn't used anything since then"

"She had the will to survive. She was grateful to be alive. Now she helps me. She helps me to help others see the value of life"

"Is that what happens? Anyone who survives your tests, you ask them to help you"

"Only if they seem worthy. I find you worthy"

"You want me to help you and Amanda test people?"

"Yes. You don't need to make your decision right now. You need to recover and regain your strength" With that, John left Vivian alone. She thought hard about John's preposition and it didn't take her long to come up with her answer.